Anybody else doing an LS conversion to SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS2SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
Phoenix AZ
If anyone can give me any tips or advice for doing an SS clone conversion from an 83' Ls would be great. Anything from pictures, warnings from what I will run onto or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Don't clone an LS!

An '83 LS?
The LS wasn't introduced until 1986.
Do you actually have an SC (Sport Coupe)?

Start making a list of everything that makes an SS different than your car.
Including (but not limited to):
Nose, headlight buckets and fender extensions up front.
Trunklid spoiler in back. Black window trim all around.
Instrument cluster, steering wheel, etc inside.
Have you made any powertrain plans yet?

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
i thought about doing this conversion when i was walking around a swap meet and found all the parts in one spot for reasonable price. but i look at it and said to myself man everyone seems to have an ss, i really like my ls, and have now decided that the ls front on my 87 is definatly staying, even if my brother says it looks like an old mans car. just saying step back and look at your car and look at what it could be in its sc form as it came, it will stand out and have character over all the run of the mill ss cars out there. in my area there are quite a few ss cars, 2 or 3 87-88 ls cars including mine, and a couple older ls/sc cars but very few. just my personal opinion keep it different keep it has an sc check out lauren engineering for some cosmetic goodies to dress it up and look a little "sportier". i belive they have ss conversion parts to but im not sure

LS2SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Ls 2 ss

so i forgot to say that i bought this car with a salvaged title, im pretty sure it was a sport coupe but it was in an accident and the previous owner rebuilt it as an LS. I already started workin on it so there is no turning back. Ive removed the vinyl top chrome and euro clip already. I have the Ss nose but have to custom fabricate my headlight housings because i cant find SS ones at any local junkyards and cant afford new ones. Im getting basemodel fenders soon. Im also in need of the fender extensions, ground effects and spoiler.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
hey if that ls nose is later model 87-88 euro style, and its in good shape, try and sell it should give some more money to throw into your ss conversion, even if the single piece glass headlights are in good shape. just sayin might help fund for those parts you cant afford right now.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, that LS front clip should make you some money to throw towards your project. Try the low rider sites they like um alot. I'm gonna be turning my LS into an SS except just the steering, suspension and back end. I like my LS front. Good luck with your project lets see some pictures.

LS2SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
Phoenix AZ
yeah ive sold the euro clip already so there is no goin back. i will try to get some pictures up soon but so far there is nothin special about it, keep in mind I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, some stuff for free because im doin some trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor