anyone ever hear 8 into 1 headers in person or know info about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
View attachment 98970 View attachment 98971 View attachment 98972 View attachment 98973

Ran across this at a car show South of Eugene Oregon a couple years ago. Built up aluminum BBC with these wild headers shoehorned in there. Sounded wicked. Dude said it made 750ish horsepower. Wild ride in that coffin car.
Not much on fake Cobras, especially with Chevy motors, especially a big block, BUT I am very intrigued by the exhaust.
If he managed to squeeze some 180s in there with a big block, I'm impressed to say the least.

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Did a little real world planning sunday between getting back to the widebody project & yardwork. Don't have as much room to make room in some areas as I thought but got a few possible designs & paths.
One thought would be to use my tri-y merge collectors in a correct sequence, which would be similar to a 180 setup with more refined ends, but less of a mess of snakes. 4 ea 2 into 1 merges into 2 ea larger 2 into ones, then i'd need to make or buy the final large single collector. A possibility could be for the merges to both exit running downhill on the passenger side where part of the existing header is. First part of headers could either be upswept like turbo headers which would leave room for custom intake or would run over top of engine like on sand rails. Then a few possibilities of how to run rest of piping to get to merges.

Since I haven't found anyone on several forums posting having knowledge on 8 into 1 merges or a completed 180 setup, made a few calls. Managed to speak to Vince @ Burns Stainless, explaining some of my thoughts. He said close to equal length will give truest sound & that the 8 to 1 merge sounds more refined & less raspy & crackly than typical 180. Then I asked if the typical round 8 into 1 collector could be made a little more oval shaped for easier room fitment. he then mentioned possibility of doing merges of quad 2 into 1's into twin 2 into 1's into 1.
SO, my parts recycling idea sounds good. I'll be doing more figuring for fitment in between finishing other stuff. Achieving near equal length piping is never easy.

May have to call my partially completed tri-y headers practice.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generati...body-ls-tri-y-headers-kooks-race-headers.html

• Haha

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I believe NASCAR tried 180 degree headers back in the 1980`s .And found it was more hassle than its worth.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I believe NASCAR tried 180 degree headers back in the 1980`s .And found it was more hassle than its worth.
It was also at a time when the speeds were increasing at a rapid rate, and they started to slow the cars down. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but my uncle always told me that their insurance only covered up to 195mph.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3932957-c5-z06-180-degree-header-build-thread.html

Heres a thread where a guy is putting some in a Howe TA2 chassis (basically an asphalt late model) notice how much room it is taking up and where. Most tar late models run the entire exhaust through where a passenger would be.

Upswept and forward is going to have to be the plan, making that all work with equal lengths is going to be a chore, I would get a tubular core support and suck the radiator forward.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Guy I know that does turbo fab for LS cars built a set for this 4th gen camaro. Car had a 6.0 with a 4.8 crank that revved to the moon with a t56. 1000+hp car. I don't know what hes going to now but im sure its more than 1k.
1541770628205.png

Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Guy I know that does turbo fab for LS cars built a set for this 4th gen camaro. Car had a 6.0 with a 4.8 crank that revved to the moon with a t56. 1000+hp car. I don't know what hes going to now but im sure its more than 1k.
View attachment 99281

It would be interesting to see that fully dressed with accessories, although I suppose you can remote mount a water pump, have manual steering, & no AC or alternator either.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3932957-c5-z06-180-degree-header-build-thread.html

Heres a thread where a guy is putting some in a Howe TA2 chassis (basically an asphalt late model) notice how much room it is taking up and where. Most tar late models run the entire exhaust through where a passenger would be.

Upswept and forward is going to have to be the plan, making that all work with equal lengths is going to be a chore, I would get a tubular core support and suck the radiator forward.

Thanks for that "light" reading, I had to read it all.

What's funny is after all that work it was a net gain for horsepower to a comparable car but he did get a different sound and if anyone reads the whole thread he was never really happy with the cruise sound of it but loved it under power.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for that "light" reading, I had to read it all.

What's funny is after all that work it was a net gain for horsepower to a comparable car but he did get a different sound and if anyone reads the whole thread he was never really happy with the cruise sound of it but loved it under power.

I downloaded an mp4 with the sound of an 8 into 1 and saved that on a stick, my 4.0 Jeep sounds fantastic now ...:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor