Are moog tie rod ends still worth the extra money??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Read the link, that explains it pretty well with photo evidence and goes to back why I am questioning it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's a good link, these companies need to be pressured to bring back the manufacturing to this side of the ocean.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Regalman, that was a good read. Like it said, while it is a worldwide brand, can we expect the parts to be up to MOOG's quality standards? I guess only time will tell. FWIW, some USA companies actually do demand high quality standards from overseas manufacturers, and Lionel trains comes to mind. I have had no problems ever with parts made in Canada and Mexico, but with China it is almost a given to be junk. But while it is a disappointment to find out an expensive item is crap, I really don't want to find out the hard way that a safety item like steering or brakes is crap!

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have had no problems ever with parts made in Canada and Mexico, but with China it is almost a given to be junk. But while it is a disappointment to find out an expensive item is crap, I really don't want to find out the hard way that a safety item like steering or brakes is crap!

While China has a poor track record for quality in some instances I can say that quality is largely determined by how manufacturing is managed and how well specifications are written. I think that the China built stuff at AutoZone and Advanced Auto is decent stuff largely due to the fact that those companies would not risk a class action lawsuit for inferior manufacturing standards and have put adequate controls in place. As a part of my job I purchase injection mold tooling from China on a regular basis with better quality than what I get in Canada and the US. If my customer (GM, Ford, Toyota, Mercedes...etc.) allowed me to purchase all tooling in the US I would do it but the competitive market does not allow. Many high quality products come directly from China. Apple I phones and Bose products are a few that come to mind.....poor specifications and lack of up front engineering is what gives some Chinese products a bad name...(Children's toys made with hazardous materials, etc. etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Anubus nailed it. It all comes down to the specifications that the company sends to the manufacturer. A part can be made as cheaply or as nice as a company requires, no matter where it is made. I bought Moog bushings last year, not American, but were leaps and bounds better than the off-brand Mevotech. Honestly, you get what you pay for. The Mevotech bushings didn't even fit in to the Mopar A-Body upper control arms. They were oblong.

Moog, from what I understand, still makes O.E. parts for auto manufacturers.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Moog is part of Federal Mogul. Makers of Fel-Pro gaskets and other well-known parts, as well as OEM harware. I picked up a set of NOS F-M pistons from EBay that were the same part number as GM (12522850) to build my Ram Jet 350.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
MOOG usually is going to have any inherent factory flaw remedied, and most times will be a heavier casting. There is almost always a considerable weight difference between MOOG parts and the "other stuff". Never heard of too many MOOG parts that weren't a "Problem Solver" part. Usually stabilizer bar end links you have a choice of 3 grades with MOOG; standard duty (black bushing, regular bolt, OE spec), heavy duty (zinc plated grade 8 bolt/nut, blue poly bushing), or problem solver (completely new design). Everything else I've seen is a "Problem Solver" with no other choice.

Many other brands (store/house/off brands) don't even come with provisions for grease fittings anymore. This isn't just for new vehicles that never had them to begin with, I think I remember seeing a random cheap ball joint for a G-Body at the store with a smooth cap (!). Also, the cheaper stuff comes with hardware that isn't the right size. Or the part itself isn't casted properly and won't fit.

Usually if any MOOG part is deemed a defective failure, it is actually an error in installation. Like hub assemblies (or anything really) installed with air impact wrenches. Or extreme vehicle abuse.

• Agree

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
I pretty much use MOOG problem solver suspension parts on anything I have. No issues yet. If I can't get the MOOG then I usually get the premium NAPA part locally. I generally buy all my parts through RockAuto for pricing reasons most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor