Best cam for carbed lq4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
looking for advice on cam for my lq4 looking for that muscle car choppy idle and of course more hp. I plan on getting a set of 799/243 heads to bump up compression a lil bit. Right now has 317s. Im run n a stock converter but i do plan on get n a converter to work with cam. Rear end will be 3.73s. I have a holley 750 on it also with a victor jr intake. Let me know what u guys think

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Know your valve lift limitations prior to selection. Also understand that lumpy cams kill engine
vacuum and you may get a hard pedal at idle speeds. A vacuum brake booster would be in order.
Are you going to run full exhaust with headers ?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Most cams for LS engines are ground for EFI "snakes in a box" manifolds. The carbed manifolds take a little different cam.

Local guy had this EPS cam in a 6.2 cathedral port headed motor and a super victor with fairly high compression. Really nice setup. Needed flycut pistons though.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=12

Or even this
http://store.cammotion.com/hot-street-carbureted-camshaft

There is so many LS cam grinders out there its easy to get lost. Ive been doing a lot of research for my 6.0 build and basically narrowed it down to an EPS, CamMotion, or Brian Tooley Racing cam. A lot of the comp ones have records of being "whiney" and use lobes that can be rough on springs.

Custom grinds are really popular too and really no more expensive. Your combo is really simple enough that any off the shelf single plane or carb manifold cam is going to be good enough. Any decent, well known shop cam is going to be within a few HP of each other.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Know your valve lift limitations prior to selection. Also understand that lumpy cams kill engine
vacuum and you may get a hard pedal at idle speeds. A vacuum brake booster would be in order.
Are you going to run full exhaust with headers ?
I do have longtube headers and i have flows but not sure if i gonna do turn downs or all the way to the rear. As far as valve lift limitations thats kind the thing i dont really know much of so any advise and help is much appreciated i do plan on change n valve springs to match cam not sure what else exactly is needed

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Most cams for LS engines are ground for EFI "snakes in a box" manifolds. The carbed manifolds take a little different cam.

Local guy had this EPS cam in a 6.2 cathedral port headed motor and a super victor with fairly high compression. Really nice setup. Needed flycut pistons though.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=12

Or even this
http://store.cammotion.com/hot-street-carbureted-camshaft

There is so many LS cam grinders out there its easy to get lost. Ive been doing a lot of research for my 6.0 build and basically narrowed it down to an EPS, CamMotion, or Brian Tooley Racing cam. A lot of the comp ones have records of being "whiney" and use lobes that can be rough on springs.

Custom grinds are really popular too and really no more expensive. Your combo is really simple enough that any off the shelf single plane or carb manifold cam is going to be good enough. Any decent, well known shop cam is going to be within a few HP of each other.
You are right bout so many different cam choices out there thats kinda why i thought i would ask for some help. And alot of cams seem like they are tailored more for efi.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I did lifters, pushrods, springs, trunnions, and a custom grind from Cam Motion for my single plane intake LY6. I was told you need different cams for efi or carb, and cathedral port or rectangular port heads. My custom grind didn't cost much more than an off the shelf.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
I did lifters, pushrods, springs, trunnions, and a custom grind from Cam Motion for my single plane intake LY6. I was told you need different cams for efi or carb, and cathedral port or rectangular port heads. My custom grind didn't cost much more than an off the shelf.
How did u like the cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor