Best security methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air horns inside the car, a fog machine and high powered strobe lights all hooked to the alarm backed by a secondary alarm.

I didn't want to tap into the factory wiring with an alarm, so I bought a removable steering wheel kit from Grant. You'll also need an adapter kit and a Grant steering wheel. (I like the "classic nostalgia" wheel with an Olds horn button.) But for around $225 from Summit you can't go wrong. You'll get a good-looking steering wheel that'll stop joyriders in their tracks. Of course, it won't stop someone from taking the car on a flatbed, but I sense that most car thieves are just looking for a few hours of fun. If they can't steer your car, they'll just steal another G-Body down the block.

I was just thinking: if G-bodies are rwd then wouldn't they be easier for a thief to tow away since the front wheels wouldn't be locked by the parking brake or the transmission?

That is why people turn their wheels when they park but it does not matter FWD or RWD the thiefs usally have dollys.

Park it in the garage and lock it up. 🙂

blizack said:
I was just thinking: if G-bodies are rwd then wouldn't they be easier for a thief to tow away since the front wheels wouldn't be locked by the parking brake or the transmission?

They can unbolt the driveshaft or cut the parking brake cable.

Parking boot on the front & rear would do the trick :roll:

Just remember that no car is theft proof. Most of these methods can be negated by a flatbed truck with a strong enough winch. These methods will probably stop kids looking to joy ride, but not a professional thief. Fortunately, I don't think the professionals target our cars as much any more since the value of most of the parts is not high enough to make it worth the risk. When you can buy a whole parts car for $500, they kinda aren't worth the risk for a pro to take them. That is not to say an unscrupulous G body owner wouldn't steal one and make us of the parts on their own car, just that it is not a prime target any more like, say a new Camry would be.

Or, as I found out, an unscrupulous G body owner may just steal the parts off your car as it sits.

ouch.... that sucks. Maybe you should build a razor wire cage to surround your car in the driveway :lol: like a dog pen :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor