Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2008
Clarksville TN
thanks for this gentlemen and women....well appreciated

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I like the train horns in the dash....how do you fit them in there?

soba_03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
Some interesting ideas here....

I only saw it here once, as much as we would all hope that our prized vehicles would remain with us until we elect to sell them to another worthy owner.

Insure the car properly, most if not all of these cars are classics. Hagerty insurance is probally one of the best out there. They will ask for pictures of your car, a list of modifications that have been done. Several other questions. They do not limit the miles that you can drive it. It's insured at an agreeded to amount, not at the "book value".

You will not keep your car from being stolen if someone want it. There are many different GPS locators available for relativly cheap. Install one, some even have the ability for you to track your car on the computer. Do a little research, there out there.

Remember, aside form being a classic, 442 & Hurst cars are considered, special interest,Collector cars. I f your not currently carrying speciality insurance on your car your doing yourself a huge injustice. These are not 20-30 year old cars, these ARE collector cars and should be insured as such.

I kinda got off topic, but it's something that may not be well known..

xray6

n00b
Dec 24, 2008
AridZona
*LOJACK*LOJACK*LOJACK*LOJACK* Did I mention, LOJACK!!!?!!!

Hey, guys! Very best thing you can do ... get LoJack with Early Warning. It's awesome! It's not a deterrent system, it's silent and unmarked.

But, if your car moves ... by any means ... and your key fob is not onboard, it alerts you by any means you select: cell phone, text message, email, home phone, etc. You can select up to four or five methods of notification (I've got mine set up to call personal cell, my work cell, my home phone, my wife's cell, and send me a text message.) When you get the message that your car has moved, if you didn't move it, you call the police. Simple. Effective. I love it.

I've tested mine and it is on the ball! Example: I was detailing the car in the driveway one day; I didn't have one of the keyfobs (they give you two), I was using a 3rd/spare set of keys to open up the doors and trunk; I got an impulse urge to run down to the auto parts store for something, so I just fired it up and drove away; I only made it a mile from the house at 50mph before my cell phones and pager all lit up! After I realized what I'd done and I shut off the calls, my wife called to tell me she got the calls on her cell phone and our home phone! Works great!

You pay a one-time fee for the system and there's no service charges or monthly fees after that.

The transponder is small and they hide it in the car; they won't even tell you where it's at. It's hidden deeply in the car, so that even if it's taken directly to a chop-shop they can't get to the transponder before the police can locate it. It runs off your car battery but has a constant charge internal battery that keeps it active even if your car battery is disconnected or removed.

And the best part is, it works great!! It doesn't matter how somebody takes your car, LoJack notifies you if your car moves from where you left it. It works by GPS, so whether it's driven, dragged, towed, rolled, or helicoptered, as soon as it moves, it lets you know. You call the police, and as soon as you give them your VIN, they activate the tracking devices that many police cars and helicopters have. It's awesome.

Statistics indicate they recover better than 95% of LoJack-equipped vehicles before significant damage can occur. With the Early Warning option, it's even better!

I'm an auto theft investigator and in my experience, this is the best system out there for protecting a car you really want to keep. I'm a true believer.

Having said that, I use a steering wheel Club and a brake pedal Club, too. The visual effect is a deterent that discourages most would-be auto thieves; they'll just move on to a vehicle that doesn't have them. But if they really want your car, they'll still try to take it. Steering wheel Clubs can be defeated easily. Brake pedal Clubs cannot. But if they tow it or lift it with a chopper, the only chance you've got is LoJack.

Like they say, "If you want it back, get LoJack!" :!:

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
Coveted said:
lojack dosent cover every street, you'd be surprised of the lapse's in coverage.
I highly doubt it has any "lapses in coverage". It might have 2 or 3 years ago, but the technology today is way too good.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
The best insurance you can get is the best thing.You can only slow down a theft you won't stop them.Most steal a car leave it sitting somewhere a few days to see if its got a lowjack then they do whatever they wanted it for.I have a repo truck i can take your car under 15 sec not that i would but it can happen.There is a cheap easy way around a lowjack cover the car in a brass fine mesh screen no signal will make it past it.Yeah no one looks or cares a car alarm is going off i have towed a few with the alarm screaming no one so much looked my way.I drive a 68 mustang everyday i park it where i can see it my alarm has a pager on it and i take the coil wire with me.And yes i will shoot you if you steal my car don't care if its legal or not.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
car go BOOM! That I believe is a politically correct way to say the B word! lol I had a buddy just got his Impala SS stolen in Minnesota. LO JACK DID NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :( :cry:

supreme_eighty5

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Upstate, NY
for security on my cutlass, i have a viper 2 way setup that i will be installing along with a dual zone proximity sensor...has good range and i dont live in the city so i dont worry too much. 8)

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
Rockstar said:
joe_padavano said:
Rockstar said:
On my last car i had a pager alarm and had the alarm hooked up to the train horns behind the grille so when the alarm went off everyone in a 3 mile radius knew it. I want to try and make some sort of push button start that needs a special key instead of the regular column key.

Alarms are worthless. When was the last time anyone here called the cops because they heard a car alarm going off (and I don't mean because it was disturbing the peace)?

The best deterrent I've ever used is to remove the steering wheel. This sounds hard, but on Olds sport wheels, you pop the horn button and six screws later the wheel is in your hand. I could get it on or off in 90 seconds.

They sell a kit that allows you to remove the steering wheel http://www.grantproducts.com/c-107-vehi ... urity.aspx
As far as the alarm going off and noone calling the cops, when you live in an area where there are no trains and you here a train horn going off someone is bound to see what the hell is going on. If you do have an alarm does cries wolf to the point of noone paying attention to it then the sensitivity on the alarm should be turned down.

Not every car theif is a rocket scientist but professionals can be clever. Mercedes has installed factory alarms in their cars for a long time. They found that the thief would take a cordless drill with a long flex extension and drill holes in the battery case by going through the grill. Once the electrolyte is drained the battery is dead and defeats the alarm. Mercedes started selling heavy stainless steel shields for the battery. Good point too about an alarm crying wolf. The car thief will use this to his advantage too.
They will intentionally trip your alarm in the middle of the night, knowing that after a couple of trips having to get up and check your ride (and your neighbors making death threats) you will just turn the alarm off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor