best spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
yep i think i just wasted 30 bucks.read some reviews and they seem like they foul out alot.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
I once bought a set of accel plugs that you are referring too. I took them out shortly thereafter. They were really no better than ac delcos. I used to run the ac delco rapidfire, which in my opinion was a great spark plug. Now its the standard ac delco or champion or autolite. The accel's are junk.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
So if you need a shorty plug, what plugs are we supposed to use :?:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
RITTER said:
So if you need a shorty plug, what plugs are we supposed to use :?:

Its been awhile since I had the number but AC Delco does make a shorter plug. It's not quite as short as the Accels but its shorter than say an R45ts.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I have straight plug heads and on my number 5 and 6 cylinders the tip of the plug wire is like 1/2" away from the header tube with the ACCEL shorty plugs

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
This completely depends on the engine, heads, and ignition. There's no right answer, unless you could tell us more about your engine. I like changing my plugs every year or so to read how my engine's runnin, plus theres more power to be had with softer metals with a near-stock gap and ignition system.

I've had good luck with autolite's on my cutlass with patriot heads. But I use NGK v-power (copper) on my truck as they have more cooler options in a wide variety of gaps(forced induction) than most other companies, also work great. It completely depends on the use of the plug, what options they have available, and then of course how it performs. Your best bet is grab some specs on your engine and call these companies :!:

I generally stay away from platinum plugs, they are used more for longevity and maintenance reasons than making power. I've really experienced no difference in the style of electrode (i.e. E3 plug), used to get fancy ones a while back, but there's no difference. Stay away from hard metals (platinum/iridium) with multiple electrodes unless #1-it's a newer vehicle and the manual says to. #2-you upgrade the ignition system to get as hot of spark as you can. #3-run a wider gap on the plug so the hotter spark has more area to jump (might as well use copper ones if the gap is still stock cuz it's hurting performance)

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
well i'm running a 350 Chevy with 10 to 1 pistons and a 6a box.now the guy that had the engine before me was running Bosch platinum's WR9FP and he said there were the only plug that didn't foul out on him.so i'm really confused now.

Regal Beagle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2008
Calgary Canada
Autolite 3926 in my 355 sbc or AC Delco 41-629. Both seem to work just fine and they are cheap!!!

Beagle :mrgreen:

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i think for stock applications and stock engines ac delco plugs are the way to go. i tried bosch platinums before and i didnt like them. i've used nothing but AC delco's after that and i like them. they're cheap and work very well. i think if it's stock or milk there's no need to use some exotic expensive spark plug. for boosted engines this is different, for new engines with different ignition designs this is different, even for racing this is different. they will all need a more specific type of plug. but finding one that works with YOUR ignition, YOUR engine, YOUR application will determine what plug is "best".

for me it's regular AC delco plugs. those are the best to me. there is no one size fits all plug for all applications so there cannot possibly be one best plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor