Best way to lower a

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
Best way to lower a Gbody

I am looking to lower my 85 regal. Maybe 1.5 up front and 1in out back. Whats the best way to lower these? Cut springs? Lowering springs? Drop Spindels?

Ive never dropped a 4 link rear before so not sure if just lowered springs will do the trick?

Also I assume that a GN T-Type sway bars would be a direct bolt on for my Regal? I know seems dumb but just making sure

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Hey, while you're looking here, not to steal anyone's thunder though - I'd like to either (a) raise the rear of my Bonneville or (b) lower the front, just to make it more even looking. Any suggestions appreciated.

Wes

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
The best way, in my opinion, is to use lowering springs. A set of AirLift bags in the rear will level up a G-Body with a rear end droop.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
I just put new shocks and springs in my 87 regal. I used the g-body cargo coils in the rear, and the 82-92 s10/blazer springs in the front. I used TRW branded springs, the fronts were part number CS5660 and the rears I think were CC627 (I think) I used KYB gas-a-just shocks all the way around, and added urethane swaybar bushings and end links. The 5660 springs are said to lower the front end .5-1 inch, and the cargo coils are said to be anywhere from stock to 1 inch higher. It's hard for me to say how it affected my ride height as the springs that I pulled out had never been changed, and all had a broken coil or two (I haven't been driving the car, I bought it that way) The stance looks pretty good as it sits right now, will only look better when I get my new tires this summer! You can also use the 82-92 F-body springs for the front and rears, although the rears need some modifications I believe to fit, they're ALOT stiffer than the stock parts, and even the F41 suspension parts.
You can get one of the edelbrock kits or something, you'll pay a good amount for it though. I walked out of the parts store with all four springs for well under 200 bucks. If you want a bit more information, you can try here http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/springs.shtml for some information. Good luck, let us know what you go with and post pics of how it looks....

Ryan

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
mrapii said:
The best way, in my opinion, is to use lowering springs. A set of AirLift bags in the rear will level up a G-Body with a rear end droop.

Although that would accomplish the desired ride height the handling and quality of ride will suffer badly.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I used lowering springs and my ride is comfortable and the Elky corners like it was on rails. Other suspension mods on my Elky include Edelbrock IAS shocks, extra large front and rear anti-sway bars, boxed lower and tubular adjustable upper rear control arms, jounce bars, radiator support bars, poly-urethane suspension bushings and 17" Nitto Extreme Performance tires. Go ahead and use the lowering springs, you won't be disappointed; thousands of G-Bodys have lowering springs with no problems.

Jordan81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
springs

i bought 2 inch drop spindles for the front and moroso trick spring for the rear. it droped 2.5 up front and about 2 out back

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
Yeah im just going to go with a 1.5in drop spring set and for wheels.... im going old school....

p16945.jpg

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
I got my new springs installed. Since the suspension was alredy weak the car didnt lower much yet. Maybe 1/2" ~ 3/4" but well see how low it settles.

Here is a few pics of the new springs.

2280353_5_full.jpg

2280353_6_full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor