Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
DRIVEN said:
jrm81bu said:
Ribbedroof said:
RPMs...come on now ...Revolutions per minuteses?

I don't see anything wrong with RPMs. It would be the plural of RPM, think Revolution Per Minute and Revolutions Per Minute. You wouldn't say I run 2200 Revolution Per Minute at 60 MPH would ya?
Yeah, that's one I never thought about. I guess if we wanted to be proper it'd be RsPM.

I'd have to say you were right the first time DRIVEN. RPM stands for revolutions per minute. It would never make sense to say Revolution per minute. RPM is the same unit as radians per second and you would also never say radian per second.

I have one:

When people write know when they mean now or vice versa. I can't wrap my head around why that would ever happen. They're not even homophones.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
"All original miles" Used in the context "this 1952 chevy has 145,000 all original miles. The floors are rusty, the interior is shot, the engine is locked up. No title."

How do you have un-original miles? Well it had 200,000 but it time traveled so they arent original. Its good when you replace parts.

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
What about the idiots that say "your gay" instead of "you're" like kid I don't own a "gay" slavery has been abolished for hundreds of years.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
81cutlass said:
"All original miles" Used in the context "this 1952 chevy has 145,000 all original miles. The floors are rusty, the interior is shot, the engine is locked up. No title."

How do you have un-original miles? Well it had 200,000 but it time traveled so they arent original. Its good when you replace parts.

I get ya. I think that's more of a term for low mileage cars so you know they didn't just reset the odometer at any point. But 145,000 miles? Man, why bother even saying it? You're selling a heavily used ride! :roll:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
drogg1 said:
DRIVEN said:
jrm81bu said:
I don't see anything wrong with RPMs. It would be the plural of RPM, think Revolution Per Minute and Revolutions Per Minute. You wouldn't say I run 2200 Revolution Per Minute at 60 MPH would ya?
Yeah, that's one I never thought about. I guess if we wanted to be proper it'd be RsPM.

I'd have to say you were right the first time DRIVEN. RPM stands for revolutions per minute. It would never make sense to say Revolution per minute. RPM is the same unit as radians per second and you would also never say radian per second.

I really don't think RPM stands for Revolutions Per Minute. You wouldn't say It turns one revolutions per minute. But you would say it turns one RPM.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
jrm81bu said:
I really don't think RPM stands for Revolutions Per Minute. You wouldn't say It turns one revolutions per minute. But you would say it turns one RPM.

Haha ya I forgot the exception when you are talking about one revolution per minute or one radian per sec, etc. I would link to an SI text about what it officially means according to them but I understand what people mean either way and it really doesn't matter.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So 6000 revolution per minutes makes sense?

Where's that dead horse icon?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Ribbedroof said:
So 6000 revolution per minutes makes sense?

Where's that dead horse icon?

Isn't this thread about nit-picken? Then how would you make it plural?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Already is...Revolutions per minute

"Say Joe, how many revolutions per minute does it turn?" "Just 1, Bob"

I guess I see what you're driving at, but the reality is that very few things would turn less than 2...Especially given the automotive scenario....unless you get into fractions like a clock handset

Nice avatar, BTW...makes me miss my coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor