Big Block '82 Malibu wagon thrash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
We had a race in Dexter Oregon a couple weeks ago. I figured it would be HOT, so I decided to get off my *ss and retrofit the A/C in the War Wagon. MAN AM I HAPPY ABOUT THAT!! I bought a polished Sanden new off of E-bay for I think around a hundred fifty or so. All the locals wanted at least double that. So when it got here, I went to work! Not an EASY chore, but super doable if you are somewhat knoledgable in A/C theory, posess a vacuum pump, buy your refrigerant in the 30 lb. jugs instead of $25 per pound! You will need R134-A gauge adapters. I filled to a 15 degree superheat and the system works awesome, with the original TXV. A little less efficient than R-12, but who cares. Blows ICE cold and THAT my friend is worth all the trouble in the world!
Fabbed up a mounting plate and installed just outboard of the Alternator. Passenger side.

The wrap around the alternator pulley looks like it's not enough, but it doesn't slip and I got great wrap around the compressor!

I thought it might get warm, in traffic. It doesn't. But it DOES sitting in 85 degree sun in the lanes at the track, so I started fabbing up a shroud.

Installed, just the top half so far. I still have to fab the lower. I'm making it two piece, for easy service to the front of the engine

The car is really nice to drive now and My friend Tony over at Driving Sounds on Everett Mall way stole my car a few weeks ago. He installed 2 12" subs, 4 6X9s in the doors, incorporated front tweets, some huge assed Alpine amp, an Alarm, electric door locks and brought it back. WOW! Bumpin tunes to boot! Super busy at the shop, racing when ever we get the chance!
And a quick shot of that!

EFI next?!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looking good. Would love to see some pics of the audio install. I would never have a wagon without a/c, no way, not ever, lol

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice work Matt, as usual.
Are you running a stock type clutch fan? I like the shroud.

I also plan to go with a Sanden rotary compressor and R134A when the time comes.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Jack, yes I am running the stock clutch fan. I can't stand the flex fans out there. Waste power and dangerous. I did cut it down, to get it under the hood, leaving not a whole lot of blade but it still moves a surprising amount of air. The picture is in the fab stage, so it's kinda rough.
I'll get the tunes pics up. He fabbed up a mounting plate that essentially takes up the spare tire well for the 12s, but I don't carry a spare anyhow. We live in a country that in dire straights, help is never more than a couple hundred dollars away.
Back to the air, I am going to install an auxiliary electric fan in front of the condenser to keep the delta happy. And NO WAY would I subject any passengers to a ride in that pig without air!

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Jeez! Once again, it's been a long while...and as always, a LOT has transpired. The ugly wagon, my '77 Malibu that I adored was less than cooly welcomed to the fleet. I could even easily go as far say to say it wasn't welcomed at all, this despite the factory tach, gauge pack, posi, full power and all the perfectly placed Patina. I sold it to the owner of a local stereo shop, Driving Sounds, because at least HE saw the potential. It is now in the body shop getting stripped, molding holes filled and is getting Black with flattening agent applied. Then,it comes back to me for suspension upgrades in the way of bags.
The Malibu has been a point of contention with the Race Crew and anyone else that has to ride in the back of it, because..well, you know. The Back windows don't roll down. I told everybody, I'm going to sell it and buy a Burb. So, I set my eyes on 2WD 70-72's cuz I REALLY like the style, but came up with nothing but rust buckets for 2K or bondo filled monsters for 10K and really nice Cali rigs for 15K. There were a couple temptresses in Cali that I almost went for, but decided to stick around here as the shop is still busy. I settled on a square nose, something I never would normally do, but this one is CLEAN. Plus, it's a 2WD. It's a 3/4 ton, which I'm tepid on, but it does ride very nice, plus it's a barn door rig. It's a little old manish for me, with the running boards and all, but..in my best old man voice-"It doesn't get all dirty when it rains..." So, they may stay. The interior is about as nice as I've seen. The guy I got it from wouldn't let his kids eat in it and it has never been smoked in. It has an injected small block, t-400 (odd I thought, but in the early years of 700R4, they experienced a lot of failures in trucks) R134A retrofit, new tires/wheels, I felt a slight vibration at speed, had new drivelines built, new exhaust, remote start, alarm,one day I noticed a piss of anti freeze, so in went a new radiator. It has a gov lock posi, trailer pack, brake controller, Alpine tunes that will blast you out of the cab and shake the mirrors to the point of readjustment.I've had it for five weeks. I REALLY like it. but, it's gotta go too. I'll explain later.

A customer of mine brought me his '03 Tahoe with inoperating oil pressure gauge. I told him I'd scan it and see whats up. I had reportable oil pressure, so I figured it must be the gauge. I've never had the dash out of a later model, so I fearlessly dug in. The dealership wants 700ish plus a reburn for a refurb unit, so I got online and checked it ut. Turns out there a little "Stepper motors" driving each gauge independanly. tach,. Speedo and oil pressure are usual culprits. You can get stepper motors for about $10 the good thing, you don't need to reburn, cuz the dash and ECM are already familiar. Heres the inside view-with the oil pressure stepper removed.

The Stepper motors solder in and they go quick. There's a little to it, but they are not difficult at all. I charged the guy around $400. He was/is ecstatic.
He comes the NEXT DAY and tells me he smoked the rear end in his Yukon. I tell him a grand maybe a little greater. He looks at me and says, if he has to start with major components on it, he's not going there. He loses too much money sitting along side the hiway with a pissed off crew. So he gave the Yukon to me. It's an '01 LS powered, loaded and 2WD. He's from SoCal and they're common down there. He ordered it new. So NOW I have a Yukon that needs a rear end, but is white and that matches my Daytona. So it's the new tow rig. That's why the Blue Burb has to go...and so does my Malibu Wagon. Here's the Yukon

That drags me to the relevance of this post and Forum. I repowered the wagon with a low hour, 330 HP genV Mercury Marine 454. It's a roller motor, small port. Was injected.

I had mashed the pan on the HO motor one day, being dumb, but since have installed QA1s to pick the nose an inch or two.

The car, as people here have seen has gone through a complete transformation. I decided to remove the factory clutch fan and run thermostatically controlled electrics. Just cuz when the air is on, sitting in traffic..it's nice to not worry.

It knocks down 23 MPG hiway now, absolutley ridiculously HORRIBLE city, cuz it's like a streetbike, you just can't keep your foot out of it stoplight dragracing!
It has MonteCarlo SS front and rear sway bars, Detroit locker, tilt, intermittant wipers, 140MPH speedo, factory gauge pack, with tach, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flow Masters, Hooker Ceramic coated big tube long headers, alarm, Tunes that make your ears bleed (in a GOOD way) New tires, 17" Americans, trailer hitch, air bags, on board compressor, MSD 85551, MSD 6AL, New four core radiator, 700R4 with shift kit and lockup converter, vacuum initiated, new brakes. Still needs a headliner, but the backing board is there. I would buy a donor car and rob the power widows out of it, as I bought a really nice power window interior that is blue and goes with. I've got well over 20K cash and countless hours into this very nice, compliant driver. I'm going to be asking 15K...okay OR a really special 2WD suburban in the 70-72 range. Or maybe cash and trade. Do you guys think that's out of range for the quality? Be honest. Thanks guys!
Cheers MFR

sbc383rulz

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2013
Western Washington
That thing is ridiculously nice! If I had the cash I would be there tomorrow!
Is that another small block jaguar in the background?
That square body is incredibly clean, I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person that clean.
You can probably get 15k out of it, there was a guy selling one on craigslist a few months back around here (kitsap county) for 8k and it was a standard 350/th350 that looked almost as nice.

Rusty Nutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2014
Jonesborough Tn
Awesome work man! You are one busy dude. I fix those clusters all the time at the shop, easy money.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
I was surprised how fast the Steppers go in. I just hooked up my Solus to verify calibration and pushed the needles back on.
The Jag in the back is our 96 4.0 VandenPlas. We've had it since 2000. It's super nice, so when the engine expires, it gets an LS with a 4l65E. So far, it still runs awesome. I maintain the sh*t out of it and we just hit 91K.
Thanks for the comments on the wagon, it's not perfect, but it IS the nicest driving one I've been in.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think that's a lot of car for $15k. Portland Swap Meet is in a couple weeks. I've had good luck selling cars there in the past -- lots of exposure. You just might find that early Suburban you've been looking for too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor