big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Body_Vet said:
Was just giving the OP a little sh*t and referencing The Fast & Furious :lol:

lol wtf they actually say that. now I know why people think its a joke

dogshit said:
http://WWW.extremeautomatics.com. With the billet forward drum/shaft their 200-4r will hold all the torque & traction a pump gas Olds 455 will throw at it. It held about 570tq from behind my 509ci Caddy on drag radials for the 9,000 miles I put on it.

Sbcregal23degrees, 7000 rpm launching 456 geared does not sound like any street car. Fun for a day yes. But to maintain & fuel etc no. Dwight's Olds 455 Cutty as seen on car domain & in magazines sounds better to me. Runs 12.0s gets about 20 mpg hwy, AC, pump gas reliable low maintenance jump in drive across country power tour if you want to ride. You can't do all of those that well with an old school smallblock unless as noted your adding in supercharger, turbo, or spray.

You can also check out my 442 or http://WWW.robertpowersmotorsports.com 455 Olds powered Cutty. Bob ran 12.3 @ 110mph & got 15 hwy still tuning when it was stolen. My 442 ran 12.5@110 & pulled off 17.0 hwy once and I am no tuner or drag racer guroo. Plenty left in my combo. Again both in drive a power tour condition. Keys being big block, overdrive, working lock up converter, q-jet. I know there are more examples even on this site.

We know stress & wear go up exponentially as rpm goes up so why would you want the same HP & less torque (on a heavy street car) at 4 to 7,000 rpms where you don't drive that you could have from 2 to 5,000 rpms with an extra 100+ cubes? Oh yea I remember, so that you can say you did what you did cheaper and say you built the same thing as everyone else.

NASCAR has reasons including rules & a budget for a rebuild after every race, we don't.

Yea I know I could have built an sbc cheaper and a three speed cheaper and tuned a holly easier but I wanted better.

i can respect what a big cubic inch engine has to offer. building a "street car" is a very loose term, and though most peoples depiction of a street car is a highway friendly car that can be used all the time, when i think street car, i think of a car that doesnt neccesarily have all the creature comforts, but can be tolerated every once in a while. personally, i consider a 300-400hp car that gets 15-20 mpg more of a cruiser than a street car. Not to say that it can't be a fast car, but it's compromised more to be driven further distances than to blast down an industrial road next to someone else. when i think street car, i think of a much rowdier (not neccasarily the engine) car that probably lacks an overdrive, has a loose non-lockup converter and steeper gears. pretty much all the stuff that you more or less can't have with a car that you wanted to drive more than 40-50 miles at a time. I am probably a lot younger than most people on this forum, and i'm told all the time from people that have been driving modified cars a lot longer than i have that one day i'll get tired of driving around at 50 mph with the tach at 3400 rpm. but for now, i think its cool and don't mind tolerating a car that leaves harder and runs harder than someone elses similar, more "conservative" car. And who's to say a car that leaves at 7000 rpm isnt a street car? i know its an extreme situation, but have you ever seen larry larsons 6 sec nova from last years drag week? they drove the car over 1,000 miles with no failures, and went 6.90's @ over 200mph.

Well first off you're not leaving at 7,000 rpm if you had a stall converter that would let you do that the car would be intolerable to drive on the street. And the argument here to me is... Why do that? A big block will out power the small block at lower RPM's, and not needing as steep gearing, and a high stall converter to make good power for a strong launch. And it will last longer much longer than a high strung small block. I've only really got experience with three big blocks one in my 89 GMC 3500 dually with just a couple little tiny bolt on mods it wasn't meant to be a racer but it was still quick. My brothers Monte SS with a 454 with just an intake, carb, and headers and 3 inch exhaust was faster than balls he had this 383 vortecs and all the bells and whistles and the basically stock junk yard truck 454 in the same car was faster. And we had an 80's F350 mud truck with a 460 bored and stroked to 514 or 521 I forget but it had Cobra Jet heads, a big cam, single plain high rise manifold, a big *ss race carb on it, and headers with just glass packs with dumps that came out under the cab. And I can tell you those big blocks even the mild ones were way more fun and way more torque than a small block and I've been in, owned, and driven a lot of small block cars. I like small blocks especially with a 4 speed they're fun, but big blocks are more fun (and faster).

And I heard someone say something about nascar uses small blocks? Yeah true but you know why? because big blocks are banned. 426 hemi Superbirds and Daytona Chargers, and 427 SOHC Ford Torino Super Cobra's were breaking 200 miles an hour routinely back in the late 60's and early 70's and Nascar said enough is a enough the cars are too fast and imposed the small block rule and banned purpose built homologation aero cars. If nascar teams were allowed to run big blocks you can bet your *ss they'd be all over that like white on rice.

On the street if you launch any car hard it's gonna just spin the tires. My SBC in my firebird over powers the 255mm radial T/A's I have on it with just a stab of the throttle in first or second gear. I've never had to take it to 7000rpm I put a self imposed 6500rpm limit on the engine and I don't usually even take it up to 6000 and trying to launch it on the street is damn near impossible it's better to just roll off the launch and then get into it. The big blocks excel at that kind of environment roll on power... Don't load it up and launch just pull away then mash it. The car is fast but I'm considering going to a 400 Pontiac engine with just a little cam, intake, carb, and headers because I know it'll be a more docile car it'll probably be slower on the track but in street races (not that I do that) it will probably be faster. And I can get the motor cheap and it's only got 5,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt.

The engines NASCAR uses are purpose built engines. They are all 358 cui, they all have around 850 hp. There not small blocks or big blocks and are not offered outside of the sport.

kornball426 said:
Well first off you're not leaving at 7,000 rpm if you had a stall converter that would let you do that the car would be intolerable to drive on the street. And the argument here to me is... Why do that? A big block will out power the small block at lower RPM's, and not needing as steep gearing, and a high stall converter to make good power for a strong launch. And it will last longer much longer than a high strung small block. I've only really got experience with three big blocks one in my 89 GMC 3500 dually with just a couple little tiny bolt on mods it wasn't meant to be a racer but it was still quick. My brothers Monte SS with a 454 with just an intake, carb, and headers and 3 inch exhaust was faster than balls he had this 383 vortecs and all the bells and whistles and the basically stock junk yard truck 454 in the same car was faster. And we had an 80's F350 mud truck with a 460 bored and stroked to 514 or 521 I forget but it had Cobra Jet heads, a big cam, single plain high rise manifold, a big *ss race carb on it, and headers with just glass packs with dumps that came out under the cab. And I can tell you those big blocks even the mild ones were way more fun and way more torque than a small block and I've been in, owned, and driven a lot of small block cars. I like small blocks especially with a 4 speed they're fun, but big blocks are more fun (and faster).

And I heard someone say something about nascar uses small blocks? Yeah true but you know why? because big blocks are banned. 426 hemi Superbirds and Daytona Chargers, and 427 SOHC Ford Torino Super Cobra's were breaking 200 miles an hour routinely back in the late 60's and early 70's and Nascar said enough is a enough the cars are too fast and imposed the small block rule and banned purpose built homologation aero cars. If nascar teams were allowed to run big blocks you can bet your *ss they'd be all over that like white on rice.

On the street if you launch any car hard it's gonna just spin the tires. My SBC in my firebird over powers the 255mm radial T/A's I have on it with just a stab of the throttle in first or second gear. I've never had to take it to 7000rpm I put a self imposed 6500rpm limit on the engine and I don't usually even take it up to 6000 and trying to launch it on the street is damn near impossible it's better to just roll off the launch and then get into it. The big blocks excel at that kind of environment roll on power... Don't load it up and launch just pull away then mash it. The car is fast but I'm considering going to a 400 Pontiac engine with just a little cam, intake, carb, and headers because I know it'll be a more docile car it'll probably be slower on the track but in street races (not that I do that) it will probably be faster. And I can get the motor cheap and it's only got 5,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt.

out where i live, pretty much all i use my car for is racing on friday and sat nights (on the street). and no you're right, an automatic car that leaves at 7000 rpm will NEVER be seen on the street. but why not in a manual trans car? its not easy to get cars that leave that hard to hook on the street, but definitely not impossible. A well thought out suspension, frame notch and a 12.5" slick or drag radial makes it a lot easier. no argument at all that ultimately a big block will make more power, but with a limited budget, either or can go just as fast. as for your pontiac , sounds like a cool, practical swap. a set of ET street radials would probably get your car to dead hook, even with everything the converter has. going from a so-so pair of BFG drag radials to the M/T's in the same size was an unbelievable difference on my car. i could leave (on footbrake w/a 2 step) at 2800-3000 on the street with no prep no problem and was gonna switch the converter to something even a little looser, but wound up selling the engine and recently started building another one. the next converter will be on the tight side cause the cars getting big spray with this next engine, but i'm still pretty confident that we'll get it to leave more than pretty good even on spray/ DR's. as for extra wear and tear due to higher rpms, the engine that was in my car was taken apart and gone through before it was sold. It had over 250 street passes on it shifting at 6300 every time, and could've went another 250 more. the wear factor is wayyy more dependent on how the car is taken care of, and how it was put together in the first place. It's not being abused if it was built to be used that way.

i love this converstation lol. guys i dont hate the big block i love them both i was just tryin to help fatso with his budget is all lol. but i am enjoyin everybit of this arguement lol even though its a never ending battle that nither side will win. its just like chevy vs. ford or coke vs. pepsi itl never be won lol

scratch the chevy vs. ford thing the side can and has been won

Chevy > Ford its simple

jacobdavis1979 said:
...its just like chevy vs. ford ...
scratch the chevy vs. ford thing

you almost pissed me off 😛

custom442 said:
jacobdavis1979 said:
...its just like chevy vs. ford ...
scratch the chevy vs. ford thing

you almost pissed me off 😛

oh sorry lol i just figured it would be obvoius that i hate fords lol bein on a gm g body site lol

That's pretty closed minded... Fords are cool they're just different from Chevy's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor