big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like the sound, power and nostalgia of the SBO 350. If I had found a 455BBO, I might be on the otherside of this debate, but I didnt. To me, for the weight, size and ride of a street gbody, the 350sbo is a perfect match. What has it cost me?

Motor and trans: $350.00 (out of 70 donar car)
Machine shop labor: 450.00 (honing cylinders, headwork, polishing crank, installing rotating assy and heads)
internal parts: 500.00 (cam, lifters, rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, one new piston, harmonic balancer)
swap parts: 1,400.00 and counting (radiator, HEI Distributor, front end bushings, crossmember, coil springs, radiator cover, electric fan, used 2004r transmission and odd ball parts...
My time: FREE (100hrs over 3yr span)

I cannot see how a SBO is any more money than a SBC when considering a build like this.

Just to chime in here... You guys make it sound like a SBC has no torque they make plenty of torque for normal driving. And they'll survive high RPM's without the oil modifications on the Olds and there are much better not to mention cheaper pistons, rods, cranks, cams, heads, etc.

Unless you're on a large budget and you want to make power the SBC is probably the better choice, any modifications besides basics on the Olds is going to be pricey and with those J-heads I dunno. I'd want to get some C heads at least, or a set of Edlebrocks or something and that can jack up costs a LOT. Stock J heads according to a chart I found online flow less than stock 062 Vortec heads between .400 and .600 lift by as much as 12cfm at .500 on the intake side, and 20 cfm at .500 on the exhaust side. That's no so good for a motor than has a full hundred extra cubic inches to feed.

So I'd definitely go with better heads but that's just my opinion. Either engine would be fun, the 455 would probably be more fun if you're staying with a very mild engine but there's nothing wrong with a SBC and if you want to go real fast on the cheap I would definitely stay with a Chevy.

-83MONTESS- said:
RITTER said:
BBO:
exspensive
monster torque

SBC:
cheap
everybody has one
good power
smaller phsyical size, easier fitment
That pretty much sums it all up! Oh yea keep in mind that a BBO is only roughly 60 lbs heavier than a SBC so you dont really have to consider weight savings. OLDS 455 all the way!!!
Lol.. no need for my imput really. That says it all.

If you can afford it go with the BB, you don't want to be wondering what if later on. Maximize your power. 🙂

G-Body_Vet said:
custom442 said:
there's not enough car nerds out there for us to talk to

Ain't that the truth. Try owning a Pontiac on top of it and it really gets difficult! :lol:
My co-workers already think I'm odd for working on cars, let alone driving 5 hours to pick up an engine. They just don't understand.

I went to autozone the other day, there was an early 80's gp sitting in the parking lot, I asked the guy if that pontiac was his, he said no its my friends who works here. He kept trying to tell me it was a chevy. I said no its a grand prix, then his friend showed up and didn't know what make of car he had, said he bought it last week :wtf:

-83MONTESS- said:
I didnt realize the OP was building a pro stocker.

lol at this point no one knows what the OP was wanting

guys remeber here.... i dont have more than $2000 to rebuild a 455 olds or 350 chevy....lol my local shop wants $1150 to rebuild my 350 chevy- that would be all stock-220hp and 300lbs of torque..... OR i can rebuild my 1971 455 olds as it was a 1970 455 olds for $1300-$1600 AND YES I HAVE THE C HEADS- that would be all stock and make-350hp and 500lbs of torque...............THINK ABOUT THAT..........

fatso86 said:
guys remeber here.... i dont have more than $2000 to rebuild a 455 olds or 350 chevy....lol my local shop wants $1150 to rebuild my 350 chevy- that would be all stock-220hp and 300lbs of torque..... OR i can rebuild my 1971 455 olds as it was a 1970 455 olds for $1300-$1600 AND YES I HAVE THE C HEADS- that would be all stock and make-350hp and 500lbs of torque...............THINK ABOUT THAT..........

455 all the way. if the big block was 1000$ more we may have something to think about

G-Body_Vet said:
84sbcregal23deg said:
rev it to 7000 and sidestep the clutch. then tell me that a torque monster is gonna still be next to you by the time you hit second gear. hell be 7 cars back, still pedalling it.

Sounds a bit like double clutching and living life a quarter mile at a time :rofl:

the point of that post is that there are always two ways to do something. if the car is set up to utilize a high revving combo, low end torque doesnt matter as long as its used as it was built to be used. IMO, a street car with a somewhat small tire is better off making less low end torque and more power on top just because it's easier to hook than a car that makes 4000 lb-ft at 250 rpm. we recently put together a 2010 camaro with a 485 cid tall deck LS getting help from a kenne belle 3.6L supercharger. the car makes a stupid torque curve, but it's unusable on the street. trying to launch it is a joke, even on a 305 drag radial.

G-Body_Vet said:
84sbcregal23deg said:
rev it to 7000 and sidestep the clutch. then tell me that a torque monster is gonna still be next to you by the time you hit second gear. hell be 7 cars back, still pedalling it.

Sounds a bit like double clutching and living life a quarter mile at a time :rofl:

...double clutching is for downshifting to save syncros or if there are none

custom442 said:
G-Body_Vet said:
84sbcregal23deg said:

...double clutching is for downshifting to save syncros or if there are none

Was just giving the OP a little sh*t and referencing The Fast & Furious :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor