big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
or both >.>...... crazy sh*t happens when you runnin a big block

custom442 said:
there's not enough car nerds out there for us to talk to

Ain't that the truth. Try owning a Pontiac on top of it and it really gets difficult! :lol:
My co-workers already think I'm odd for working on cars, let alone driving 5 hours to pick up an engine. They just don't understand.

If you like to drive your car a lot, I would suggest to NOT go with a big block. Unless you have a lot of cash for gas money.

I have to say, I really like my BBO, but now that gas is around $4.50 a gallon around here, I just don't feel like wasting money driving it a lot. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I should turn it into a full race car, and throw more go fast parts at it.....or if I should work on getting gas mileage up. I guess I could always do both, but then I may as well just spring for a Grand National and be done with it all.... :rofl:

It costs me like $30-$35 just to drive my car to work one day. I'm not making any money doing street races, and they'll take your car around here if caught, so is it really worth it driving a rocket to work and back for that kind of cash? eh....

Maybe I should remove my air conditioning 🙂 So much for having a sleeper....lol

HurstOlds said:
If you like to drive your car a lot, I would suggest to NOT go with a big block. Unless you have a lot of cash for gas money.

I have to say, I really like my BBO, but now that gas is around $4.50 a gallon around here, I just don't feel like wasting money driving it a lot. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I should turn it into a full race car, and throw more go fast parts at it.....or if I should work on getting gas mileage up. I guess I could always do both, but then I may as well just spring for a Grand National and be done with it all.... :rofl:

It costs me like $30-$35 just to drive my car to work one day. I'm not making any money doing street races, and they'll take your car around here if caught, so is it really worth it driving a rocket to work and back for that kind of cash? eh....

Maybe I should remove my air conditioning 🙂 So much for having a sleeper....lol

I'm lucky that my GP won't need to be driven out of necessity. Her Honda is the work car, the Caddy on weekends and the GP will be for local cruises or nice summer nights. I often wonder why I'm spending so much money building it. I'll definitely be using a 200-4R when I'm ready to put the car together.

-83MONTESS- said:
custom442 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
Remember: HORSEPOWER SELLS ENGINES, TORQUE WINS RACES!

this is bullshit, if it were true everyone would be racing diesels.
Does horsepower get you off the line?????

yes it does, get in a stick car thatll hook with 4.56s, rev it to 7000 and sidestep the clutch. then tell me that a torque monster is gonna still be next to you by the time you hit second gear. hell be 7 cars back, still pedalling it. ever hear of a pro stock? super short stroke, huge bore, huge RPM, and NO low end power at all!

G-Body_Vet said:
I'm lucky that my GP won't need to be driven out of necessity. Her Honda is the work car, the Caddy on weekends and the GP will be for local cruises or nice summer nights. I often wonder why I'm spending so much money building it. I'll definitely be using a 200-4R when I'm ready to put the car together.

Who do you have in mind for building your trans? Let me know, I'd love to have over drive, but it can be hard to find a beefy enough trans setup to handle the BBO power

http://WWW.extremeautomatics.com. With the billet forward drum/shaft their 200-4r will hold all the torque & traction a pump gas Olds 455 will throw at it. It held about 570tq from behind my 509ci Caddy on drag radials for the 9,000 miles I put on it.

Sbcregal23degrees, 7000 rpm launching 456 geared does not sound like any street car. Fun for a day yes. But to maintain & fuel etc no. Dwight's Olds 455 Cutty as seen on car domain & in magazines sounds better to me. Runs 12.0s gets about 20 mpg hwy, AC, pump gas reliable low maintenance jump in drive across country power tour if you want to ride. You can't do all of those that well with an old school smallblock unless as noted your adding in supercharger, turbo, or spray.

You can also check out my 442 or http://WWW.robertpowersmotorsports.com 455 Olds powered Cutty. Bob ran 12.3 @ 110mph & got 15 hwy still tuning when it was stolen. My 442 ran 12.5@110 & pulled off 17.0 hwy once and I am no tuner or drag racer guroo. Plenty left in my combo. Again both in drive a power tour condition. Keys being big block, overdrive, working lock up converter, q-jet, reasonable cam. I know there are more examples even on this site.

We know stress & wear go up exponentially as rpm goes up so why would you want the same HP & less torque (on a heavy street car) at 4 to 7,000 rpms where you don't drive that you could have from 2 to 5,000 rpms with an extra 100+ cubes? Oh yea I remember, so that you can say you did what you did cheaper and say you built the same thing as everyone else.

NASCAR has reasons including rules & a budget for a rebuild after every race, we don't.

Yea I know I could have built an sbc cheaper and a three speed cheaper and tuned a holly easier but I wanted better.

84sbcregal23deg said:
yes it does, get in a stick car thatll hook with 4.56s, rev it to 7000 and sidestep the clutch. then tell me that a torque monster is gonna still be next to you by the time you hit second gear. hell be 7 cars back, still pedalling it. ever hear of a pro stock? super short stroke, huge bore, huge RPM, and NO low end power at all!
I didnt realize the OP was building a pro stocker.

HurstOlds said:
Who do you have in mind for building your trans? Let me know, I'd love to have over drive, but it can be hard to find a beefy enough trans setup to handle the BBO power

I haven't decided yet since I'm still putting the engine together at this point. I thought about trying to do it myself and buying the necessary parts to upgrade it. Then again I don't want to make a mistake and end up doing it twice.

Like dogshit said, that billet fwd drum is a key part once you start making serious torque. It's also about a $400 part. Guess you gotta pay to play though.

84sbcregal23deg said:
rev it to 7000 and sidestep the clutch. then tell me that a torque monster is gonna still be next to you by the time you hit second gear. hell be 7 cars back, still pedalling it.

Sounds a bit like double clutching and living life a quarter mile at a time :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor