big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Body_Vet said:
67rstbkt said:
BTW, I'm in $7,000 so far on my 461, and that's with me doing the final assembly.

That isn't exactly a run-of-the-mill engine either :lol: I think a big part of the cost on our Ponchos are those aluminum heads. That's $2k+ alone. I'm guesstimating around $3-4k when mine is said and done with iron heads. Then there's the trans to worry about.

It does come down to cost vs. expectations, I suppose. Like you said, though, the cost of parts play a big role. Pontiac aluminum heads are very expensive compared to what SBC stuff costs. If I were the OP, I would investigate the cost of performance parts as part of the research. BTW, transmission....no less than a Viper T56 for my ride, lol

I know this is two pages back now, but it doesn't offend me if you hate Fords but it's ignorant to say they suck.

I've had a very potent big block Ford and there's nothing I can think of that had more power that I have ever experienced. And 351 cleveland's or 351W's with aftermarket heads or Cleveland heads are every bit a match for a Chevy and often times better. Their only drawback is main bearing size in the Windsor and there's not as many common performance heads but in most other aspects it's better than an SBC.

That is all.

kornball426 said:
I know this is two pages back now, but it doesn't offend me if you hate Fords but it's ignorant to say they suck.

I've had a very potent big block Ford and there's nothing I can think of that had more power that I have ever experienced. And 351 cleveland's or 351W's with aftermarket heads or Cleveland heads are every bit a match for a Chevy and often times better. Their only drawback is main bearing size in the Windsor and there's not as many common performance heads but in most other aspects it's better than an SBC.

That is all.
Communist! :rofl:

kornball426 said:

I want to drive a car that makes a girl puke and run away. In that regard ford blows, its a fact

kornball426 said:

That is all.

uh oh gotta kick out kornball lol
its cool buddy everybodys got their own opinion

kornball426 said:

That is all.

thumbs up to that, i got my *ss handed to me by 4 of them last summer. and most of them were smaller engines than mine! two 347s, a 351 and a 392.

84sbcregal23deg said:
kornball426 said:

That is all.

thumbs up to that, i got my *ss handed to me by 4 of them last summer. and most of them were smaller engines than mine! two 347s, a 351 and a 392.

Yes the 3 engines you talk about were the cars mustangs? If so the mustangs is a lite car coming in under 3000lbs if you are in a gbody car you 3400+ lbs. This means that your engine got to work harder to pull that much weight.

There's no point in having a big block anymore, You can make just as much power in a small block. But if your looking to make 800++ the choice would be a big block.

custom442 said:
I want to drive a car that makes a girl puke and run away.
Lol. I'm quite the opposite. I want to drive a car that makes a girl wet, and come. :roll:
But seriously this thread is a good read, even though it's been argued, sorry "discussed" all over the 'net lol.

BIG BLOCK
=========
Pros.........................Cons
====.........................====
-torque monster...........- heavier
-great power...............- lower redline
-easier to make power....- more expensive

SMALL BLOCK
==========
Pros......................Cons
====......................====
-lighter weight..........-everybody has one
-good power.............-limited torque band
-higher redline
-cheaper to build
-smaller, easier fit
-everybody has one

Generally speaking, your decision will be based on finances, power needs and what the car is used for (daily driver/street/strip/drag/etc)

An aluminum head/intake BBC is close to the same weight as an iron head/intake SBC. The little extra the BBC may weigh is easily overcome by the extra torque it creates.

Another thing to the guys saying their small block with forced induction or juice is superiour to a big block. What happens when a big block is juiced, supercharged or turbo'd? The question is no longer IF, but HOW MUCH burnt asphalt are you willing to have shovelled down your throat? Hmm?

ALL things considered, big block is king.

A 455 with aluminum intake and heads weights just about the same as an all iron small block. A stock 455 wieghts less then a chevy 454 its all cause of the shape of the heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor