big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
No no no. LSx is king...

I saved this dyno graph I don't remember the whole story but how it goes is that someone put a hotcam and nothing else in a LS1 and dynoed it like it would have been in 1970.. here's the graph. Remember the LS1 is a 346 cubic inch motor. And the first of it's kind. The newer ones are only a million times better..
0409phr_gmpp_22_z.jpg
Now this really doesn't mean anything since those dyno's have no worth today. But it's just something to remember that a stock hot cammed ls1 was above the rated power output of a LS6 454 for the day. Even though they allegedly lied about dyno number's its still 54 more than what it had... So if we go back to today's dyno numbers a stock ls6 chevelle that weighed 3900 pounds went 13.7 in the 1/4 that's about 290-300 wheel horsepower. But in an 01 camaro the story goes the other way if you were to take that hotcammed LS1 most people make about 360ish wheel torque and about 375ish wheel horsepower. But none of this matters! It all comes down to the parts, builder, and driver! Oh and don't forget budget too!

Im with SScamino on the LSX or even the LS series for that matter. I know they are more expensive and more rare but they are powerhouses! If I had my choice it would be an LS engine but thats neither a small block or big block :mrgreen:

oh yea. one of those new supercharged LS9s in the corvette zr1. that would be sweet to have in mileybu. screw ur big blocks i forgot all about the LS series lol

The way I see it, I want my old Pontiac to have an identity with an old Pontiac engine....455. It's just fitting to open the hood and see a proper powerplant.

If I wanted an LSx I'd buy a Camaro or TA and save myself the headache of retro fitting one. No doubt that they are great engines though.

Depends on what your looking for........I have a sbc that was bored and stroked to 388 CI and dynoed at 514 Hp @ 6800 rom's and 470 foot lbs of torque at 4K...........Those are big block numbers out of a small block...I got just over 6 grand in my build...Woulda been much more for a big block.....Of course it's cool when you have a big block and open your hood....Bragging rights..IMO of course..All in all, it depends on what your looking to do and how deep is that wallet of yours... 8)

yea i have about 2k to build a engine tht will run with the mustrangs and camaros at the local meet

fatso86 said:
yea ls1 is badass engine but you got all tht computer crap...lol

summit has a kit where u can run the ls1 with a carb and mechanical pump and distributor. it comes with an intake and everything else u need to ditch the computer crap.

jacobdavis1979 said:
fatso86 said:
yea ls1 is badass engine but you got all tht computer crap...lol

summit has a kit where u can run the ls1 with a carb and mechanical pump and distributor. it comes with an intake and everything else u need to ditch the computer crap.
But if your going for an LS you may as well set it up right and not put 30 year old technology on it :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor