Bracing body to remove from frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Seems like there is a solid concensus that I need fix the floor, then pull the body. If the doors need to be off (which makes sense), I may as well pull them now to make some more room and so I don't risk damaging them while I'm working on the floor.

As for the inner rocker/body mount area, I will havebto play it by ear. The edge of the floorpan is supposed to overlap it, but I can't really replace it until the body is off the frame. I'm sure I'll figure it out and if I don't, I'll ask here. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Could you weld in a temporary brace to mimic the big seat brace you took out? You could cut it off for access once you got the shell on 4x4s. And a brace across the door to support the rusted rocker like oldsofb did.Seems like that would prevent folding or widening. Youd just have to worry about racking it but as long as you pick from the middle you should be good. Id want to do the inner rocker before I put the floor in. I lifted mine with the floor intact just with flinstone mods(its alot holier then it looks) I didnt have any rocker damage either.
20191201_131517.jpg

I cant say for sure nothing moved but the pan dropped right in. Minimal space between the pan and sides. I think that brace over the hump adds the majority of support for the floor.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Could you weld in a temporary brace to mimic the big seat brace you took out? You could cut it off for access once you got the shell on 4x4s. And a brace across the door to support the rusted rocker like oldsofb did.Seems like that would prevent folding or widening. Youd just have to worry about racking it but as long as you pick from the middle you should be good. Id want to do the inner rocker before I put the floor in. I lifted mine with the floor intact just with flinstone mods(its alot holier then it looks) I didnt have any rocker damage either. View attachment 150438
I cant say for sure nothing moved but the pan dropped right in. Minimal space between the pan and sides. I think that brace over the hump adds the majority of support for the floor.

That seems like it would work to me, but I've got minimal experience with this type of stuff. I believe you are right, I think that brace over the hump is where a lot of the strength comes from. I personally want to repair the inner rocker/body mount area before doing the floor, but even if I did the floor first, I can't weld the seat brace in until the inner rocker area is repaired because the drivers edge of the seat brace gets welded to the inner rocker right where I need to repair it. But a temporary brace to mimic the strength of the seat brace would work based on my guess. Only how to go about it?

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
That seems like it would work to me, but I've got minimal experience with this type of stuff. I believe you are right, I think that brace over the hump is where a lot of the strength comes from. I personally want to repair the inner rocker/body mount area before doing the floor, but even if I did the floor first, I can't weld the seat brace in until the inner rocker area is repaired because the drivers edge of the seat brace gets welded to the inner rocker right where I need to repair it.
I am also a novice. If its a stupid idea hopefully one of the real body guys will tell you.

Nov 4, 2012
I am also a novice. If its a stupid idea hopefully one of the real body guys will tell you.

I did this stuff for a paycheck for long enough but most of what I did was collision repair, not resto work, and especially not pulling bodies off frames resto work.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Okay boys, here's where we stand. I've got to remove everything all the way to (and possibly including) the inner rockers. I know it is not ideal, but I am not seeing a way that I can replace these side sections that cradle the frame (the pieces with the body mount and seat belt anchor) without pulling the body off. Those need to be replaced prior to installing the floor or else there is nothing to weld the floor to. I am looking for any and all suggestions at this point before I just start unbolting shlt.

The things that seem to be agreed upon already are-

1.) Both doors need to come off first.
2.) Some sort of bracing is required.

Here is what needs replaced, and it needs replaced on both sides. Obviously I will work one side at a time.
20200714_151437.jpg
20200714_151448.jpg

20200714_151302.jpg
20200714_151309.jpg

Come on guys, let's hear some ideas.

Nov 4, 2012
Just throwing an idea out.... get a little more than sawblade deep inside toward outside on the rockers. Do the floor, then come back and do the rockers?

Let me make sure I'm understanding correctly. You are saying cut out enough of the inner rocker/body mount section so that it doesnt interfere with welding the new floor pans in, then lift the body up, remove what is left of the inner rocker/body mount section and fit the replacement section in between the outer rocker and the new floor pan?

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I with fleming442 with floors first. For any bracing do atleast one per door frame (X bracing would be better) & one between the B pillars.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Why not take the floor out while the body is still on the frame and hack your shot rockers apart bit by bit? At least then you can see how you need to weld yours back together.
By the looks of it, you’ll need to separate the top and bottom halves at minimum to get everything welded properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor