Bracing body to remove from frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I'm listening to everything you guys are saying. Here's my idea, just throwing it out there like the rest.

1.) Remove doors.
2.) Build braces similar to those in post #4.
3.) Brace from bottom of B pillar to bottom of other B pillar.
4.) Lift body, slide frame out from underneath.
5.) Cut out inner rocker/body mount section, weld in new.
6.) Lower body back to frame.
7.) Weld floor pans.
8.) Remove bracing.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Okay I'm a visual learner so I scribbled this up to hopefully illustrate the situation a little better. It's a crappy picture but I think it shows what is going on. The blue outline is where my new floor pans will cover. The red outlines are the inner rocker sections that I have which I believe need to be replaced before the blue sections can go in.

20200714_195623~3.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
And here is my bracing idea. The green braces would be the door braces similar to what oldsofb did in post 4. The purple would be a square tube brace connecting the bottoms of the b pillars.

The gold braces are just an idea, but I could weld a piece of square tube just inside the door near the bottom.

20200714_195623~4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Depending on how you lift the front, a brace like the purple one, on the front somewhere might not hurt. It should stop the front from trying to spread.

:unsure:

Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
How do you plan on lifting the body up? A bunch of buddies or lifts/jacks? I was just wandering if the backseat pan is already bracing the purple area. There is a rear crossmember there too.
Message_1588977312326~2.jpg

Its welded to both inner rockers. Then up front you got the firewall and whats left of your floor to hold the front together. Im thinking the purple line would be more helpful if moved forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Depending on how you lift the front, a brace like the purple one, on the front somewhere might not hurt. It should stop the front from trying to spread.

:unsure:

Perhaps just a square made out of square tube steel? As long as it is not directly in the way of where I need to work, I can go as crazy as I want with it.
20200714_195623~5.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
How do you plan on lifting the body up? A bunch of buddies or lifts/jacks? I was just wandering if the backseat pan is already bracing the purple area. There is a rear crossmember there too. View attachment 151868
Its welded to both inner rockers. Then up front you got the firewall and whats left of your floor to hold the front together. Im thinking the purple line would be more helpful if moved forward.

Planning on deadlifting it up while someone slides a 4x4 underneath it. Rear first, then the front. What if I moved the purple brace forward or just made a second one? Kinda like-
20200714_195623~6.jpg

Or even-
20200714_195623~7.jpg

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I think either of those would work fine especially if you put the door braces in. Once its safe and solid on the 4x4s i would think you could remove any braces in your way.

Nov 4, 2012
I think either of those would work fine especially if you put the door braces in. Once its safe and solid on the 4x4s i would think you could remove any braces in your way.

I'm thinking that the yellow braces should make up for most of the strength that the rockers provide. The cross braces are just to tie the two sides together. I think once it’s up off the frame and I roll the frame out of the way, I'll be able to get up underneath and work from the inside with enough room. If you take a look at the picture in the first post, I'm pretty much planning on setting it the same way.

Anyone else have any thoughts here?

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor