Calling All HID Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
I'm sure there's info here somewhere, but the search didn't give me much. What setups are you guys running? I know I want the Hella housings, but I'm lost on the HIDs themselves. Should I use bi-xenons to do hi/lo and then plain xenons for the other ones?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
kustomss said:
I'm sure there's info here somewhere, but the search didn't give me much. What setups are you guys running? I know I want the Hella housings, but I'm lost on the HIDs themselves. Should I use bi-xenons to do hi/lo and then plain xenons for the other ones?

That's the set up I'm using and I'll never change it. You will never outrun your lites at nite.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
So what wattage are you using? I've heard that 55 watts is too much for normal street use.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
35 watts, I tested the 55 watt sets and they use the 35 watt bulb with a 55 watt ballast, an d some of the 55 watt ballast were only 35 watt so son't believe every sticker you read. Using the 35 watt bulbs is why the 55 watt sets are only a few dollars more. The 55 watt ballast scatters the lite in the 35 watt bulb. The only company I found to make the 55 watt bulb is Philips and the costs of a 55 watt build is a couple of $100. As for the color I use it's 4300 k for the bi-xenon and 6000 k for the high beams. I like the 4300 cause it throws more light, which helps in the rain. I had 6000 k before and that's why my hi bean is 6000. I'll change them when one burns.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
So your low beams (inner) are on all the time, and then when you switch to hi the inner ones flip and the outer ones come on? All 4 of mine are on on low, and the center ones switch for hi.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
kustomss said:
So your low beams (inner) are on all the time, and then when you switch to hi the inner ones flip and the outer ones come on? All 4 of mine are on on low, and the center ones switch for hi.

you have me confused, the lites are only on when I turn them on. the outside lites are the hi/lo and the inside lites are high just like they come from factory

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
Yeah sorry, I was thinking backwards. But, my high beams (inner) are on with the low beams. Is that normal?

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
I thought a 4-headlight system generally worked as follows (with old lights):

Set on to low beam:
1) Outer lights have low-beam filament lit, high-beam filament off
2) Inner lights are off

Set on to high beam:
1) Outer lights have low-beam filament off, high-beam filament lit
2) Inner lights are on

At least, I thought that's how it's supposed to work. Not sure if this is changed when switching to using HID or not....

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
Ok, so something is wrong in my wiring somewhere. On low, the lows are lit on the outside and the inside bulbs are dim. On high, the highs are lit on the outside (but kinda dim) and the inners are full brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor