Calling all Rochester Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Well I finally got a noncomputerized carb for my 307 powered cutlass.The carb for the swap is a rochester quadrajet side fuel inlet (chevy style) from a 1967 cadillac sedan deville with a 429 v8.I have the HEI dist. and all ready for the swap,but i ran into some problems.Problem one-Its a side fuel inlet,not really a problem but I'd rather a center fuel inlet.Problem two-The current carb on my 307 is a ccc hot air choke carb and this chevy carb is a non hot air choke carb.I diassemled and cleaned this carb today and mixed up some of the choke linkage and i have this spare lever left over and i'm not sure where it goes,i believe its the fast idle cam lever.I also need to know where the primary vaccum pot lever goes.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
3938968101_3a8293c431_b.jpg

3938977811_df31aec623_b.jpg

3938979697_d8d5cd18b5_b.jpg

3938981219_066a970a2f_b.jpg

3939818884_d63911c77d_b.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure where that lever goes but if you google the carb numbers you should be able to get a drawing to help you out. Do you realize tho that at the back of the carb there is no vacuum port for your brake booster?. Is there any particular reason you want to use this careb instead of a more current one with an electric choke?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
This will not go well. The carb has too big an idle feed restriction to work well on a 307. It will always be rich. It is also missing it's secondary metering rod hanger and probably the rods too. They are a popular item for junkyard scroungers to take in order to build a tuning kit. It is also too early a carb to easily work on the 307. Yes, the flange bolts up, but nothing else will work properly, especially the TV cable linkage.Your intake will also be lacking a provision for the choke stove as it was set up for an electric choke. You need a carb from a 1976-1980 Oldsmobile or Buick application to have everything in the right place. Go get another one. Just don't get a Dualjet! They look the same except for the lack of secondaries.

P.S.: I too made this mistake in my learning curve, so don't feel too bad. I have a disassembled Caddy Q-Jet off a 429 sitting in a bucket in my garage to show for it! It took me several months to find a suitable candidate for my car, but getting the right carb meant everything went very well, and the jetting was close enough that I didn't need to change it. Ideally, find one from a car with an engine of similar size to your own. This may mean a 305 in a truck, but it can be made to work. (Mine is from a van with a 350) Remember: not all Quadrajets are the same, despite what people may think. You need one off a similar size engine for it to work right out of the box.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I'm learning about these carbs and am rebuilding a 1979 Olds carb for my Chevy 350!!. I am learning that while they made some of the same basics castings, the factory custom tailored each carb to the specific application. I bought the Clif Ruggels book on Q-Jets and would advise getting that book (or another like it).

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
need a carb from a 1976-1980 Oldsmobile or Buick application to have everything in the right place. Go get another one. Just don't get a Dualjet! They look the same except for the lack of secondaries.

Some 1981 and later units may work too. Those are found on trucks and vans WITHOUT the CCC in place.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I would put that carb in the parts bin and look for one (complete) from a 350 and throw a rebuild kit into it.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i guess i'm sh*t out of luck eh?,i was hoping i could run it,just without a choke,i know how hard it'll be to start but what the hell, its a summer car only driven on good summer days only.I really didnt choose this carb,it was more or less handed to me as a free candidate,i have no job to buy a good carb with the right hot air choke on it to work on my 307,but i thought that this carb would may have worked if i modified something.damn.In my build thread i think i mentioned how i would eventually put a non computerized carb on my 307 before my 350 goes in,but oh well thanks guys

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can run it without a choke, all you'll have to do is to wait for the car to warm up before driving it. I know a few guys who go without a choke and our race car doesn't have one

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Or install a manual choke. But your real problem is the missing pieces for your secondaries.

chpbstrd1

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2009
Minion1186, If I recall you said you would be at Fall Carlisle sap meet. I purchased a number q-jets there last spring for as low as $1. There we're plenty to be found in the $5 - $15 price range that we,re good cores with electric choke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor