Calling All Woodworkers/Handymen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Hey guys. A little side project I am working on currently. After I stripped the guts out of this LS6 that threw a rod, I'm making a coffee table out of the block. For now I'm going to top it with 3/4" MDF, until I can get my hands on a sheet of glass. Now my question is, I am going to anchor the MDF down with 4 bolts that screw into the intake valley cover holes on the top of the block. However the bolt heads are about 5/8" around and 1/2" tall, and I don't want 4 of them sticking out of the top of the table.
Here is what I am talking about, it won't have that spacer there, that was just to hold the carboard mock-up down.

I want to counter bore them down into the wood so I can still access them, they just aren't sticking up. I know they make counter bore bits, but the cheapest 5/8" one I have found is $27.xx and so far I've done this project for free.
This is the wood boring bit I have, could I do it with this?

Or is there another way, or different style bolt you guys can think of to anchor this top?

Here is basically what it will look like, it wont be on the stand lol. I made little feet out of steel spacers. Can't remember the exact measurement, but I think its a little over 20" tall.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
There is a bit called a "Forstner" bit. It drills a flat bottom hole and Harbor Freight has a cheap set for $8.99. I use them on all kinds of odd projects. Look for item #1903.
7 Piece, 3/8" Shank, 1/4" to 1" Forstner Bit Set
Drill Master - item#1903
image_18348.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor