carb, starter and fly wheel problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Listening to people on a message board is a gamble. When you do find people that know what they are talking about it is like visiting a couple different doctors for a health problem. They all will eventually fix it but they have their own way in doing it, some easier, quicker, or more thorough and everyone has an idea on what they would do. You just have to pick the right way for yourself. Honestly I am more of a triage person haha, I just get it fixed until I can get to it later and make it pretty or factory.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Listening to people on a message board is a gamble. When you do find people that know what they are talking about it is like visiting a couple different doctors for a health problem. They all will eventually fix it but they have their own way in doing it, some easier, quicker, or more thorough and everyone has an idea on what they would do. You just have to pick the right way for yourself. Honestly I am more of a triage person haha, I just get it fixed until I can get to it later and make it pretty or factory.

Wow, Makes a lot of sense.
I think if I were a person I would be the same as you.
I will fix something momentarily until i can fully get to it 100% and get it 100% finished.
But again I do need a little help and I find guys like you all and you all work off each other and come to one solution and make it 1 purpose and one way fix so I love that I have you all here.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The best part of a factory manual is that they explain how and why something operates. Factory mechanics are no different from the rest of us, they don't know everything and the manual is there to educate them. Just randomly reading the manual opens your mind and you get the big picture how cars work. But as Pontiacgp said, reading is usually the LAST option anymore.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
The best part of a factory manual is that they explain how and why something operates. Factory mechanics are no different from the rest of us, they don't know everything and the manual is there to educate them. Just randomly reading the manual opens your mind and you get the big picture how cars work. But as Pontiacgp said, reading is usually the LAST option anymore.

yeah I am going to get the manual when i get some money up, Cause I can no longer go to videos and they not explain how exactly to do something.
Its like they skip things and I dislike that so much.
So reading is the last I assume because seeing something normally helps many people then reading you know.
I am that way on some things, but as you both said in the manual they have pictures of exactly what to do and where it goes all that so I know it will help me both ways, seeing and understanding.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
first engine I blew up I went to the GM dealer, got the manual for it and it wasn't cheap but I rebuilt the engine according to the detailed instructions and pictures. No internet back then and I lived in the country so help was scarce..

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Also, stay away from Chiltons, Haynes, Motor, etc, as they only have the most basic of info, and what little good stuff they have they copy directly from the factory manuals. If I was forced to use them I would only accept the OLD style Motor manuals, they used to be decent, but by the 80's they couldn't keep up with the bewildering amount of info that the computer cars generated. Even the factory manuals became several volumes the size of cement blocks.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
first engine I blew up I went to the GM dealer, got the manual for it and it wasn't cheap but I rebuilt the engine according to the detailed instructions and pictures. No internet back then and I lived in the country so help was scarce..

That is amazing and inspiring, How old were you?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
Also, stay away from Chiltons, Haynes, Motor, etc, as they only have the most basic of info, and what little good stuff they have they copy directly from the factory manuals. If I was forced to use them I would only accept the OLD style Motor manuals, they used to be decent, but by the 80's they couldn't keep up with the bewildering amount of info that the computer cars generated. Even the factory manuals became several volumes the size of cement blocks.

Yeah i guess they adapted to the new engines, when I look at a new engine I really have no idea what I am looking at its all over the place and just weird, That's why I love old cars their so easy to look at and just know where everything is and how to fix it is simple.
But I see the Haynes up at auto zone I peaked in it, seemed good but I guess I was wrong.
So I am just going to order one from the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor