Carburetor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
If you have a check engine light then that may well point you to the problem. Oreillys and Autozone will usually read them for you if you don't want to do the "morse code" method I described above and don't have a reader. Having your own reader is always worth while keeping these old cars living. I would highly recommend getting one . . .

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
If you have a check engine light then that may well point you to the problem. Oreillys and Autozone will usually read them for you if you don't want to do the "morse code" method I described above and don't have a reader. Having your own reader is always worth while keeping these old cars living. I would highly recommend getting one . . .
I thought they only had a scanner for newer model cars does scanner have a specific name

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
I thought they only had a scanner for newer model cars does scanner have a specific name

They O'Reiley uses a Bosch Scanner, thats the same one I run. It has OBD 1 ability if you buy the high end one. Mine though doesnt not like my Olds....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You might want to pick up Doug Roe's book on quadrajets, it's got a section about the computer controlled quadrajet...

Reactions: 1 user

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
for an olds 307 without a dwell meter i have found 2 and 3/4 turns out from bottomed on the m/c solenoid to be pretty ideal and puts your right at 30 to 32 degrees dwell on the 6 cylinder scale.tps should be checked with a multimeter with the black lead on the battery negative and postive probed into the dark blue wire.you will be looking for i want to say .41 volts and opens to 4 or 4.5 volts full throttle.this is adjusted by a tiny screw at the base of the accel plunger lever,if its not drilled out or the other person who rebuilt it put that tamper cap back in you'll need to get a small pointy awl and punch it through carefully then pry the cap out.then get a small piece of copper tubing or the like,tap it gently down onto the end of the screw which will form to its hex shape and turn it in to raise the voltage or out to lower it.you can do the same for the m/c solenoid to gain adjustment by using a piece of copper pipe pushed down onto the head of the adjustment screw which is basically a flat protrusion on the top of the adjustment screw.turn the idle needles out to about 5 and a half turns as a starting point and adjust idle via the idle screw tucked beside the throttle linkage to 1100 in park.the flooding issue id suspect too high a float setting i think its supposed to be 7/16ths from the top of the casting measured at the toe of the float unless you did something like i did quite awhile ago,was replacing fuel line and went to a smaller size on the line from the pump to the carb inlet causing the pressure to raise

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
going with everyone elses recommendation though get the codes read for sure just so you know what your working with,any auto parts chain stores does it for free.if any part of the ccc system is bad the entire system runs pig rich as a early form of limp mode i think

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
going with everyone elses recommendation though get the codes read for sure just so you know what your working with,any auto parts chain stores does it for free.if any part of the ccc system is bad the entire system runs pig rich as a early form of limp mode i think
Thank you for your help but unfortunately auto zone doesn't have the scanner I need for my car said I'd have to purchase one

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
huh thats weird maybe all they have is obd2 scanners now but the way cannon mutant posted a page ago is very easy,just locate the aldl connector and insert a paperclip between the a and be terminals then put your ignition into the run position,dont start the car.then observe the check engine light,you'll have a series of pulses of a long pulse the a series of short pulses (i.e. flash....flash,flash for instance meaning code 12 which points to no distributor signal,indicative of ignition being on but engine not running)
http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/id2.html
this link gives most all the trouble codes you will find and their associated meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor