Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
87chevyboy said:
pontiacgp said:
the 2.43 which I think is a 2.41 is a 2nd series and the 3.73 would be a 3 series carrier. The 2 series goes down to 3.08 then from 2.23 on is a 3 series. So basically you'd have to do it by the first method I mentioned. Also a limited slip is the same thing as a posi

my bad i meant its the 1 tire spinner :blam:

your were sorta right...your rear end is limited to spinning only one tire... :mrgreen:

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
87chevyboy said:
pontiacgp said:
If the posi carrier is the same series as the carrier you have now and if you just want to install the posi carrier that's real easy. You can just remove the carrier that is in there and install that crown gear on the posi carrier (bolts are LH thread for the crown). Install the posi carrier with the same shims in the same sides that the original carrier used. You need to check the backlash with the dial indicator but the backlash should be good since the carrier had been set up with those shims.

well i have a limited slip carrier with 2:43- the posi unit is out of the monte ss with 373 gears so how difficult would it be or should i just take it to a shop

Hey bro..by the way it looks I say just take it to a shop.. you don't seem too comfortable doing this. I know im not lol..I just got some gears from a member and Ill let the pros do it. BUT if you do it more power to you.. let me know how it goes..

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
v2vera said:
87chevyboy said:
pontiacgp said:
If the posi carrier is the same series as the carrier you have now and if you just want to install the posi carrier that's real easy. You can just remove the carrier that is in there and install that crown gear on the posi carrier (bolts are LH thread for the crown). Install the posi carrier with the same shims in the same sides that the original carrier used. You need to check the backlash with the dial indicator but the backlash should be good since the carrier had been set up with those shims.

well i have a limited slip carrier with 2:43- the posi unit is out of the monte ss with 373 gears so how difficult would it be or should i just take it to a shop

Hey bro..by the way it looks I say just take it to a shop.. you don't seem too comfortable doing this. I know im not lol..I just got some gears from a member and Ill let the pros do it. BUT if you do it more power to you.. let me know how it goes..

i think im a just put the full rear end on it i just didnt want to bleed the lines and adjust the breaks again lol i wanted the easy way out less time consuming

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
Yea if I attempt it I was going to drop the rear end and make sure I can put it all back together again.. Im sure once you do it once and learn, it wont be as bad second time around with it in the car.. If you need a extra pair of hands let me know Im in Tempe.. we can learn together lol

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
v2vera said:
Yea if I attempt it I was going to drop the rear end and make sure I can put it all back together again.. Im sure once you do it once and learn, it wont be as bad second time around with it in the car.. If you need a extra pair of hands let me know Im in Tempe.. we can learn together lol

sh*t hell yeah bro i think im a just drop it in on sat :mrgreen: come thru if you want pm me your number im a keep it simple im a just put in the carrier that its in already

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
since you guys are going to do it you'll need an impact gun to get the nut off the pinion and a dial gauge to measure the backlash. Get a marking compound so you can check the contact pattern of the pinion and crown gears. There's a 99.9% chance the pinion depth will be good if that pinion was set up in another housing. Find a site you understand the process so you can print it off to refer to when doing the job...Once you do one you'll see that it's not all that complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor