Status
Not open for further replies.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Yes sir just where the lock bolt goes through. cut a slit in it and you can remove the locking bolt remove the pin. then just get a new pinion pin and locking bolt. Another tip, install thread locker on the bolt when assembling.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
If the gears are welded to the pin they will have to be cut away from the pin with a torch. Done several of them. its tricky and ya have to be good with a torch mate.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Well in that case i'm screwed, i have never used a torch before. I had no idea that that could even happen. Maybe i should take my car to mechanic/shop to get it out, if i can¨t drive it out myself.. :(

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hacon- before you go crazy- have you put the whole car up on blocks and listened while it was in drive? It may be something else making noise. It could be bearings in the carrier, or the gears themselves because they are high mileage. I know it is dangerous. But if you get all four wheels off the ground- SAFELY- then listen while it is driving- you will pinpoint the problem. Using a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver you can touch the offending area and magnify the noise.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Yes, that's probably a good idea. Thank you for the help, although I hope i won't need all of it, if you catch my drift :D ... :(

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Bonnewagon, I have listened to the sound up close and it sounds like it is indeed coming from where the right wheel bearing mounts. it only comes while turning the right wheel, and you can hear it on either side of it. it is not very loud..

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
But first, measure the bolt and report back. If there is a tiny bit in there you might be able to grab it with a thin magnet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor