Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Thank you Bonnewagon, i'm sure someone will help me out. Last time when I opened the differential, prior of removing the pinon-retainer-bolt, there were several people gathered around the car in suspense, to witness in excitement, whether or not the Pinion-retainer bolt would break or not. When it came out in one piece I was told to buy a lottery ticket...

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
They were not kidding- most are found to be broken. If yours was bent- it wasn't far from breaking. When the shaft comes out- go have a beer!

Reactions: 1 users

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Got the job done. It was a challenging repair. For anyone doing this in the future, i recommend a proper big bearing puller, the cheap slide-hammer i bought did not have enough torque to rip out the bearing, but I was fortunate enough to borrow a proper one.

I also ended up loosing both spider gears out of the diff while taking the wheel of, so i should have payed more attention to them, but it wasn't too difficult to get them back in, just difficult to align them properly.

However it turns out that the bearing sound is still present, even after replacement. I am not sure why, maybe its the axle riding on the bearing? Maybe its something else. (the pic is taken before the bearing was properly installed)
14442649_1317158584990880_534709771_n.jpg

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hacon, how does the axle look? I mean the part that rides on the bearing? Are you SURE it was the bearing, and not the differential?

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
I only took a quick look at the axle, it didn't have to much of a grove, it looked very small compared to what i have seen online. It could be the differential, but that wouldn't be an issue for the inspection. Either way I have pictures proving that I replaced the bearing, so i'm taking my car to the shop tomorrow to get it inspected once more, and hopefully approved. I will show them pictures and the old bearing and explain that the sound is not the actual bearing but something else.

If my car didn't get approved, would have to replace the axle that rides on the bearing, or do I have to do EVERYTHING all over again with a repair bearing?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yup. Do it all over again. But first, if it is still noisy, try getting the car up on a lift and running it in gear. SAFELY!!! Get close and see exactly where the noise is coming from. If it is the same side then it may be the axle. A good way to test the axle is to swap them from side to side, but then you still do all that work over again. When you pulled the axle out was it loose or a firm fit? I'm pretty sure there is a spec for the axle surface where it rides on the bearing. If it's worn, then you change axles or machine it down for a repair bearing. I don't have the spec handy but I will check on that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Okay. So check while car is running and lifted. And either replace the axle piece, or machine it down for a repair bearing? I honestly have nothing to compare "whether the axle was loose or not" but, i did notice to my surprise that both C-clips just fell out and landed in the diff, without me even touching them. If I can't find a new axle-piece, then I could in theory swap them and get the car through inspection?... interesting.. is it unsafe to drive with a worn axle, keep in mind it barely makes any sound while moving down the road, if any..?
When I say axle i mean the part the wheel mounts to, btw. does it have a special name?

How do you machine an axle for a repair bearing?
Thank you for the tips and input!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you don't machine the axle, the repair bearing rides on a different part of the axle

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank's Steve, I was misinformed. After watching that video, I as wondering if the bearing was not getting any lube oil? When you filled it, did you fill it to the hole?

Last edited:

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
I did not fill the diff Oil all the way to the hole, because i didn't have enough, I reused the Oil i replaced last week, but some got spilled. I will of course ad more tomorrow. But I did Jack the car up on its side, to make sure that the new bearing got some oil. But the "bearing" sound was identical to what it was prior to the repair. So i don't think more oil will help, all tough I will of course top it off.

I did not lube up my new bearing, since it uses the diff oil. Was that a bad move?

Thanks for the video link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor