Coolant in cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I will be getting new valve springs when I get my cam and other stuff. But yeah I know a 350 is better for power but I have a 305
15 dollar valve spring tool + a couple hours is worth it imo. But, it's your heads. Do as you please.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
How exactly do I remove the valves?
Buy this little tool (under 20 at most parts stores, this is the type for over head valve engines), clip the little claws on the lowest coil (closest to the head) you can make sure the tool is steady, and turn the dial. It'll compress the spring and allow the keepers to be pulled out (I like to use a little magnet, watch your fingers) and the valve will drop out. Release the tool from the spring carefully, those suckers can put an eye out.

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
if the keepers are stuck a quick rap with a ball peen hammer does the trick.not entirely recommended but you can also release the valves by putting the heads up on two pieces of wood on both sides,getting a socket the size of the valve retainer and giving them a good tap with a hammer.you need to hold the socket down well and hit the socket not your hand but when done right it shocks the valve spring just enough so that the keepers and retainer pops free of the valve

note though you cant install new ones without the spring compressor tool

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It's really better to take the valves and springs out. One, you'd never get anything out of there that may be in there. Two, since you'd have em apart you might as well replace the valve stem seals, and if you ever want ti give this thing some power, you'll need new valve springs anyway.
Trust me, it pays off to fully dissasemble an engine before putting it into a car. Look what I found in mine, this is a tiny portion of the crap that was inside. The bulk of it was in the heads.

Wow, looks like a mouse got inside that motor. It happens sometimes and mouse piss can really ruin the internal parts.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Wow, looks like a mouse got inside that motor. It happens sometimes and mouse piss can really ruin the internal parts.
Seems like it. The motor overall is good, it sat in a guy's basement for 20+ years. I was just gonna replace the VC gaskets, and stab it in. Good thing I didn't.

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
Cracked head or heads magna flux the heads to be on safe side also past experience tells me blown head gaskets that's the culprit most likely. Another thing could be warped heads take a straight edge slide it down the face of the head don't lay straight edge face down needs to be upright. Are the heads cast iron or aluminum? Sounds like engine over heated at one time
Anyway some options 4u

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor