Could Be Looking At An 85 CUTLASS 442 This Weekend!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
crazyliver said:
dream on mcss said:
Well thanks for sticking up for me guys. Were going to look at the car this sunday, so ill let you guys know the details. Hopefully it wont have rotted frame rails/underbody, and its actually driveable. I know this is gonna be a big project, but im nowhere near getting my license, so its really not a big deal if its not driveable right away. This will give me the time to do the car right, so i can have a real nice car when i start driving. And to the guy who was wondering whos paying for insurance/gas/parts, dont worry about it. First off, thats really not your business so i dont know why you'd ask a question like that but i really dont care. I didnt know it was a crime for my parents to help me out. What does it matter anyway? Its not like im some spoiled rich brat asking his parents for a brand new car. ITS A $1200 CUTLASS!!! I wont even consider any car over $1400, and i feel bad enough asking my parents for this, so it really pisses me off when people tell me to buy my own car. Im willing to bet that atleast half of the people on this forum had their parents buy them their first car. If you bought your own car, GOOD FOR YOU!! That doesnt mean that the people who had their parents buy their cars are spoiled *ssh*les, but you think what you want. Im done arguing. Thanks again for sticking up for me guys...

I am far from calling you a spoiled *******. That is not my intention at all. There is a large percentage of americans (canadians too) that spend above their means. people want something that they cannot afford, but buy it anyway. The US is in a recession partially due to people paying too much for stuff (houses) and then when the going gets tough they walk away from it. Nobody has any accountability anymore.

Now in your case, if Ma and Pa want to buy the car for you, then go ahead. I don't resent that. From where I am from, cheapest insurance on that car is $700 a year, but for a 16 year old boy, it would be at least $2500 a year. Maybe even Ma and Pa will insure it for you as well. Go for it if you can. Now that car is going to need minimum $1000 to even see the road. That is your YEARLY salary. Gas is pretty expensive, and a 16 year old boy wants to drive everywhere with it. Gas at $50 a tank, gives you about 350 miles you can drive a month if you spend your entire salary on gas. You talk about big motors and standard transmissions all day, but with no way to pay for them.

What should be coming out of your head is "I have these ideas I want to do with my car, and I have ideas on what car to buy, but I only make $75 a month. Maybe I can find another job so I can save up some more money and meet these goals." Instead of "I will borrow the money now, and worry about everything else later"

Don't put the cart before the horse, and good luck with whatever you choose to do. Cheers!

I side with Crazyliver. Spend the $ 1500.00 on a DD ( 2000+ Focus, Taurus, Impala, Regal ) all with 4&5 star crash ratings which will be cheaper to fuel and insure than any 25 year old gbody. Plus you will be safe. Gbody cars only got a 2 star crash rating when new IIRC, toss in 25 years of metal fatigue and the gbody is not a very safe car. Once you get your DD on the road ( probably much faster than the gbody was with the stock 305 or 307 BTW ) Then start looking at project cars. The DD will help you get a job which will help you earn the $$ you need for your project car. I admire your heart and determination but wisdom speaks volumes.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I say go for it, none of us know his situation so if he thinks it will work out then why not accept that. Heck the first car I bought without my parents knowing and the first day I parked it in front of my house my parents called the cops cause they thought someone abandoned their junk car in front of our house... :lol:

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
84cutlassjuggalo said:
i'm telling you from personal experiance. i have 3 cutlasses in my yard and a regal. buy it if it's what you really want, but be smart. you may think it's a great deal but after you drop the 1200 on it you may find a much better one. i made the mistake of getting one for a great deal, turned out to be a rip off, happened twice.

i suggest save your money and get a nice gbody. i'm not saying don't get it but i am saying wait. When you rush every thing falls apart on you. i've had g bodies since i was 15 and none have seen the road because i was impatient. you also have to thing of where to store it so it wont rust, get a tarp and put it under. but honestly not to rag on you about your job but serious man $75 in a month? i've worked 7 days stright and school ontop of that. you don't need to get a car to be off your *ss, do it any way and go for a walk. i'm not trying to rag on you. i'm just speaking form personal experiance. i'd rather see you happy with one that needs almost no work than like me and mad that you have a bunch that wont run. please man wait, get a better job and save up. good luck

Juggalo hits my point on the head exactly, when I said I think you should try and find something better for that kind of money ($1200).

I know you're into cars, and you want to work on them and all that jazz. The only problem is, all of that crap costs money. TONS of money. For instance, the car you want has a cracked windshield. It's illegal in Illinois to drive with a cracked windshield. What does a new one cost? Like 2-3 months of the money you make?

The main reason I bought my latest Cutlass (in my signature), was because all of the work was done to it. I know for your price range you can't necessarily afford a car that has all of the work done to it. But then again, I know you can find a car that doesn't need any work done to it for that price......

I'm not saying to not buy that car. I'm just saying that I think you can find something better. Definately check the car out, but add up in your head how much repairs for everything are going to cost. You don't even have the initial cash. Are you going to be able to talk your parents into paying for repairs on a car you just bought? Only you know the answer to that question.

When you go to look, just make sure it's a 442. Verify the VIN, look up part numbers, etc... if the guy is lying about it being a 442, you don't know what else he's lying about. The guy says he was screwed on a trade with this car. So I'm guessing he thought the car was something other than it is, or he thought it was more than it is.

The question isnt about the car being in bad shape, I think the problem everyone has with this is just the fact that you dont' have any money. At all. We're confident that you can fix it up and all that, but if you can't afford the car initially, how are you going to be able to afford gas, insurance, repairs?

Wow, I just reread what I wrote....when did I get so old :( I sound like a parent! wtf

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
dream on mcss said:
cdg1984 said:
I hate when people give ridiculous responses that are completly unjustified to a simple thing such as a guy being excited about getting his first g body. Not cool. Get a life.

Anyways, I talked to my mom about the car, and she said we might be able to go look at it, and the ad says OBO so maybe we could get it off him for $800-$1000! Wish me luck guys!

try to get the car for the cheapest he will let it go ...... my first g body cost me 400 bucks that i borrowed from my mom it cost me of my personal money 1500 to get it road worthy and i still wasnt satisfied on how it looked also not to talk about the 25 bucks of gas i had to spend every 3 days to keep it running ... my moral was that it was to much of a headache to maintain even though it was my dream car and i loved the car i had to let it go because i drove alot and needed something more fuel efficent plus if it still has the stock engine they are not very fast it would always leave me wanting more power

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Go for it, buy it up and work on it yourself. I got my monte when I was 15 and I still got it.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I like the idea that you maybe want a project car to work on and go, but look carefully at this car, you dont want to be in over your head with a car that needs more work than what its worth. If it turns out to be a POS, turn your head and walk away, save your money up for one thats in better condition and throw money into a car in better condition. Just my two cents.

BTW I was 16 when I got my bone stock 86 cutlass salon. Learned to drive in it, did my first burnouts in it and a lot of other firsts in it as well. My parents bought it for me, but I put my own money into souping it up. Mine should turn 12.50s in the quarter now and i'm about to turn 19 in a couple months.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
I'll be the supportive one. Get it . Cutlass interior beats Monte hands down . $1200 is cheap . I paid $1000 for a rust bucket to get the clean interior . And those that compare G body to older rides . How could you . People in 70's thought 57 chevy's were junk . by 80's they were $$$

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
So have you gone to look at the car yet?

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Oh by the way... Find out what the Vin code is for 442 and make sure it really is a 442 before you buy it if you decide to buy, and make sure it still has its 8.5 rear in it. Maybe it doesn't have brakes because someone stole the rear out of it and didn't hook the brakes back up.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
outsider_27 said:
Being blunt is one thing, but we also don't know the situation. On one hand, that car would be great for someone to learn on that has the time and money to put into it. On the other, it can be fixed to drive and work on at the same time. It doesn't look that bad for the price and the 442's are getting higher in price.
I agree....part of the learning process with this hobby is a lot of trial and error, disappointment and patience, satisfaction of achieving your goals, committing to finish what you started...etc. I bought many a car at a young age that needed work, and I did some of it, and had some of it done by shops, and I let some of it wait. Driving and working on any older car, such as these takes time and money, and he will find that out on his own, which is just a part of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor