Crank, spark No start/ alternator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks for any help. I have a 1983 Buick Regal 3.8L V6 Base Model Coupe. A few different problems or going on at once with the car and could all be linked in some way but at this point im not sure. To simplify things the major issue is No start. I recently replaced the starter and alternator to I was checking wires and noticed the charge post moves just a bit to one side or the other. Could this be my problem? Also recently changed coolant and drove the car. It ran fine but service engine light was on. Put it up and tried to start it and it just cranked but no start. There seems to be crank and spark from plug. Distributor is getting power. Carburetor's getting fuel. The other issue is my accelerator pedal and the idle speed control under the hood keep pulsing (like feedback or tapping just a little hard to describe) when out of park. Thanks for any information on this, just kind of lost at this point. Thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211225-221823_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211225-221823_Chrome.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20211225-231116_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211225-231116_Gallery.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 96

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks for any help. I have a 1983 Buick Regal 3.8L V6 Base Model Coupe. A few different problems or going on at once with the car and could all be linked in some way but at this point im not sure. To simplify things the major issue is No start. I recently replaced the starter and alternator to I was checking wires and noticed the charge post moves just a bit to one side or the other. Could this be my problem? Also recently changed coolant and drove the car. It ran fine but service engine light was on. Put it up and tried to start it and it just cranked but no start. There seems to be crank and spark from plug. Distributor is getting power. Carburetor's getting fuel. The other issue is my accelerator pedal and the idle speed control under the hood keep pulsing (like feedback or tapping just a little hard to describe) when out of park. Thanks for any information on this, just kind of lost at this point. Thanks again
L92 OLDS Thanks for your reply on my other post. I checked and yes the idle speed control is acting up. Should I replace it you think or is there a way to repair you think? This probably wouldn't be the issue as to why it's not starting could it be?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Give some gas down the q jet and see if she barks, and while you are at it what is the voltage you got for the distributor also?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
L92 OLDS Thanks for your reply on my other post. I checked and yes the idle speed control is acting up. Should I replace it you think or is there a way to repair you think? This probably wouldn't be the issue as to why it's not starting could it be?
See if the vehicle is equipped as well with an installed ECM too. The v6 80's cars have sensors that make troubleshooting stupidly annoying. It f**king sucks for the folks who don't want to deal with the electrical stuff.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Since we are on the subject too, have you checked the voltages on the carb recently there? Theres a mix solenoid plus tps.

Those must work if I understand right, for the carbs that have CCC.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
See if the vehicle is equipped as well with an installed ECM too. The v6 80's cars have sensors that make troubleshooting stupidly annoying. It f**king sucks for the folks who don't want to deal with the electrical stuff.
g0thiac Ohhh Man, yeah this is definitely where I fall short on experience (One of the parts at least lol). Not a fan of electrical work. Plus to top this off I'm pretty sure I have a short somewhere. I'm pretty sure I ran into the ecm yesterday. I was looking for sensor 's and I believe it's on the passenger side right by the door in the kick panel.

Reactions: 1 user

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Since we are on the subject too, have you checked the voltages on the carb recently there? Theres a mix solenoid plus tps.

Those must work if I understand right, for the carbs that have CCC.
g0thiac Getting ready to head out to it. I'm going to do some research on its location but I'll get back to you on what I find out. Thanks alot for your help I appreciate it.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Above all else, you mentioned a check engine light. The ECM stores codes, and the engine does not need to be running to pull the stored codes.

Use a paper clip to the 2 slots in the ALDL connector under your dash, it's in the middle towards the driver side, little black plug with all the little holes exposed. Put the ends of the bent paper clip into the a-b slots on the top level, right ride.

At that point it will blink out the codes by flashing the SES light on the right side of your cluster.

Count the blinks, tells you the code. Read up on how to count and what they mean. That's the starting point.

Once that's done we can guess more at the rest based on all the symptoms.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Above all else, you mentioned a check engine light. The ECM stores codes, and the engine does not need to be running to pull the stored codes.

Use a paper clip to the 2 slots in the ALDL connector under your dash, it's in the middle towards the driver side, little black plug with all the little holes exposed. Put the ends of the bent paper clip into the a-b slots on the top level, right ride.

At that point it will blink out the codes by flashing the SES light on the right side of your cluster.

Count the blinks, tells you the code. Read up on how to count and what they mean. That's the starting point.

Once that's done we can guess more at the rest based on all the symptoms.
ck80 and g0thiac Thanks for your help. Just got out here and did the obd1. (I posted it as well maybe may help someone.) So it just kept flashing one....one two at me. I believe this is showing as 12-normal. I'm going to try and test the distributor next and things next.

Now that I'm thinking about this even more I remember that the car would start fine but after it was out of park and moving is when the light would come on a little after.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211226-132513_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-132513_Chrome.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
@ck8 and g0thiac Thanks for your help. Just got out here and did the obd1. (I posted it as well maybe may help someone.) So it just kept flashing one....one two at me. I believe this is showing as 12-normal. I'm going to try and test the distributor next and things next.

ck80 and g0thiac Thanks for your help. Just got out here and did the obd1. (I posted it as well maybe may help someone.) So it just kept flashing one....one two at me. I believe this is showing as 12-normal. I'm going to try and test the distributor next and things next.

Now that I'm thinking about this even more I remember that the car would start fine but after it was out of park and moving is when the light would come on a little after.
So not sure if I'm testing the coil right but it's an hei coil (Just in case), tested the cap and has no reading, it stayed at 1ohm. So probably going to order a cap and coil. And go from there. Still looking up how to test the distributor. I've never done one before trying to avoid replacing the whole thing honestly lol. I'll keep trying to test and update as I go. Had to stop for the day a few hours ago. So I'll try and get back at it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor