Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Meanwhile I've been working on the toploader after work this week. Monday night I finished the clean up and scraping on the case. I also got the needle bearings back in order in the counter shaft and installed a dummy shaft in it to hold them in place. I got the countershaft back in the case with the thrust washers and also got the gear train swapped over to the long shaft.
View attachment 66923
Tuesday night, with my brother's help, I got the mainshaft and gear train back in the case, then got the shift forks and rails installed. We also got the front bearing support, tailhousing and big input shaft cleaned up. Wednesday night we pressed off the bearing on the input shaft using my new OTC 2"-9" bearing splitter (bad boy). We got the new bearing pressed on the input shaft and a new bearing pressed on the main shaft and got the input shaft installed. It was pretty close at this point...
View attachment 66924

View attachment 66925

Thursday night we didn't work on it. I took a partial day of vacation today and got it buttoned up. It went together real nice. Shifts like a dream. It is going to be a really nice gearbox for someone....
View attachment 66926

Tomorrow morning I will build the crate for it and will likely get it listed for sale online.
Seems like a lot of work just to sell it but nice job looks good man

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Seems like a lot of work just to sell it but nice job looks good man
Thanks. Yeah it is a lot of work but it is a close ratio box and we decided to go with a wide ratio box which has a steeper first gear and is friendlier for the street. That close ratio box is actually rare and valuable so we will sell it and use the proceeds towards getting Dad's car painted.

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thanks. Yeah it is a lot of work but it is a close ratio box and we decided to go with a wide ratio box which has a steeper first gear and is friendlier for the street. That close ratio box is actually rare and valuable so we will sell it and use the proceeds towards getting Dad's car painted.
Kinda like the m-21 in my car so many people told me I should have sold it and got something else maybe later I will put a 5 speed in it or something but it's good for now

Reactions: 1 user

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Work on the Galaxie continues. Dad is semi-retired so he's been doing some body work this week. Here are a couple of pics. This was earlier this week....
View attachment 66921
His comment was 'the hand is pretty happy' referring to it feeling pretty smooth to the hand. He sent this next pic earlier this afternoon with the message 'getting smoother'.
View attachment 66922
He and my brother Sean should be able to make some good progress on it tomorrow.
Looking good!!!!

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Progress on the Galaxie continues. I got the trans I've been working on crated up. I'm not a wood guy but it turned out ok. 137 pounds all together....
20170527_142047.jpg

I finished up at about 3 and it was about 93° and humid so I was over being outside. I decided to grab a shower and then head to dad's to see how he and Sean were doing. Sean sent me this pic before I got there with the car taped up.....
20170527_152804_1495916943737.jpg

I was surprised they were at this point. The metal work on this side turned out better and required less bodywork. Add that to all the work dad put into it this week and here it is in primer.....
20170527_161853_1495920503962.jpg

It's come a long way from this.....
imagejpeg888.jpg

Here's a look at the rocker primed and seam sealed.....
20170527_161907_1495920505052.jpg

And here's a look at the bottom of the rocker/quarter showing the filled seam and the drains we fabbed....
20170527_161916_1495920505665.jpg

The primer didn't flow out that well. I'm not sure what was wrong but it went on a little rough. Dad ran a piece of 220 sand paper over the whole panel and slicked it out in about 10 minutes. I don't seem to have a pic of that. They still have to prime and paint the backside of the inner rocker and trunk drop off where we welded in the new metal. They also need to touch up the wheelhouse and then dad is going to undercoat it. Dad is also going to touch up the paint on the outside of the frame rail where he got yellow epoxy primer overspray on it. We are all so glad the yellow is gone. They are going to shoot the door jamb and cowl black and then the passenger front fender can go on. They'll be working on getting the passenger quarter in epoxy primer. Still plenty of work to be done but all the eye sores are gone. I think the car will be painted this year. We're excited.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There are crate engines but a crate transmission is a new one for me...:D

The Ford is really coming along. I hate painting in weather like that, no matter how many sweat bands I wear a drop or 2 of sweat always ruins the job

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Dad's garage is air conditioned. I wish ours was. I found the pic after dad scuffed the new primer....
fHZx4uBX-196725170.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Was waiting on this week's galaxie installment...was worth the wait. Looking better and better every time. Great job so far. It's going to be a sweet ride when done! Trans crate looks very sturdy also.

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Progress on the Galaxie continues. I got the trans I've been working on crated up. I'm not a wood guy but it turned out ok. 137 pounds all together....
View attachment 66984

I finished up at about 3 and it was about 93° and humid so I was over being outside. I decided to grab a shower and then head to dad's to see how he and Sean were doing. Sean sent me this pic before I got there with the car taped up.....
View attachment 66985

I was surprised they were at this point. The metal work on this side turned out better and required less bodywork. Add that to all the work dad put into it this week and here it is in primer.....
View attachment 66986
It's come a long way from this.....
View attachment 66987
Here's a look at the rocker primed and seam sealed.....
View attachment 66988
And here's a look at the bottom of the rocker/quarter showing the filled seam and the drains we fabbed....
View attachment 66989

The primer didn't flow out that well. I'm not sure what was wrong but it went on a little rough. Dad ran a piece of 220 sand paper over the whole panel and slicked it out in about 10 minutes. I don't seem to have a pic of that. They still have to prime and paint the backside of the inner rocker and trunk drop off where we welded in the new metal. They also need to touch up the wheelhouse and then dad is going to undercoat it. Dad is also going to touch up the paint on the outside of the frame rail where he got yellow epoxy primer overspray on it. We are all so glad the yellow is gone. They are going to shoot the door jamb and cowl black and then the passenger front fender can go on. They'll be working on getting the passenger quarter in epoxy primer. Still plenty of work to be done but all the eye sores are gone. I think the car will be painted this year. We're excited.
What primer is that?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor