Does it fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I know a guy locally possibly selling a 200r4 or a 700r4, If the price is right Ill take either. Its on an elcamino and I have a 78 Malibu my question is will the driveshaft work? We both have the 7.5 rear so thats the same. IF the drive shaft works I can get everything and itll be a quick easy swap from my 350 trans.

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
You will need a different crossmember and drive shaft. If I'm not mistaken the splines on the output shaft are different.

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
X2 on the cross member. I believe that the yoke's are the same 27 spline count, but the lengths could be different. The 200 and 700 are both different lengths, you will probably have to shorten the driveshaft.
tranny_dimensions.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you go with the 700-R4, you'll need to shorten the driveshaft approx. 3". If you currently have a TH350 trans in the car, you can modify the existing crossmember to accommodate the 700. If I'm not mistaken, it requires extending the mounting tab and elongating the hole.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Oh Im sorry guys Thanks for the answers though I appreciate it. I shouldve been more clear. The guy is parting out the whole elcamino so My question is if i buy the trans from should I ask for the driveshaft and cross member from him as well. Will the driveshaft be the right length to fit the malibu?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
If it's a 200-4R and you already have a th200 or th350 the driveshaft in your malibu can be used but as mentioned the factory crossmember will need to be modified on yours or get a new one or better to grab the one from the donor car as it's already set up. As pontiacgp stated the elky is longer for the driveshaft. If it's the 700-R4 the the driveshaft will need to be modified.

Also check the carb. If it's the same as yours grab the tv cable brackets on the throttle linkage and the carb base to use on yours. Again only if the carb is the same type.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Good to know I didn't think about the cable to carb connection. I don't know what carb he has but I have an edlbrock on mind. (Came there). He has the crossmember so I'll grab that. I guess I won't need the driveshaft. Just the yoke. He is unsure if it's a 700 or a 200. He'll let me know over the weekend. Either way it'll allow me to get some better gearing. I have a 308 posi for the car now I'm planning to install as soon as there's a nice weekend that I have time.
Thanks

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Read up on adjusting the TV link at the carb. If it's not adjusted, the trans can burn up. IIRC, when bolted in correctly, you withdraw the locking tabs, pull the linkage to full throttle and release the tabs so the carb end locks in.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So according to that chart, a 200-4R and a T-400 can use the same crossmember? Just the driveshaft length is different? Hmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor