Does tire height effect alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Say you have 26" tall tires all around and your car is aligned. you then replace them tires with 27" tall tires all around. Would this effect alignment?

What if you kept 26" tall up front and installed 27" tall tires only in the rear?

What if you're an idiot and put 27" tall on driver's side and kept 26" on the other?

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
From what I remember from when I was doing alignments if you change the tires the same all the way around it should not affect alignment if you change tires on the rear only it will change caster a small amount if you put different sizes from side to side it will affect camber, caster and toe hope this helps

Reactions: 2 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Ok thanks. Seems most likely I'll have to return car to the shop.

I had 26" all around with slightly lowered front ( due to taller lower ball joints ). I then went back to stock ball joints ( whiched raised front end back up a hair ) and went with 27" tall tires on back.

Of course the shop ****ed up and put both the 27" tires on the driver's side and both the 26" tires on the other. It was aligned with the tires like that.....

• Scared
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Of course the shop ****ed up and put both the 27" tires on the driver's side and both the 26" tires on the other. It was aligned with the tires like that.....

they may have been setting your car up for a right turn circle track....:mrgreen:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
I don't think it would affect it that much but you did pay for a service to be done that was not done correctly so the shop should stand behind their work and move the tires and recheck the alignment just to make sure the customer is happy was it a independent shop or a franchise

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 26 and 27" tires may have the same circumference depending on the ratio aspect of the tires

Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The actual tire heights are 26" ( 235/60/15 ) and 27" ( 255/60/15 ). I'm set up for reverse stock car racing!

Shop just called and is deeply embarrassed by mistake and wants to send a tow truck over so they can fix it. I can swap the tires myself but if it needs realignment then I'm gonna have to take em up on their offer.

I was surprised the bigger tires even fit up front! I'm sure if I would have done any aggressive maneuvering they would've scraped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor