Engine Mount Trouble!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtgrayson

Apprentice
May 15, 2009
i have the ones for my application but for some reason they won't line up. i have the clamshells already installed on the crossmember and i tried to drop the engine in and the mounts on the engine block won't line up i can only get the driver side to line up therefore something is wrong.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have the clamshells for the engine your installing then you don't have them lined up with the correct bolt holes....or the brackets on the engine are incorrect

dtgrayson

Apprentice
May 15, 2009
I just did a little research and i found someone else that was having this problem. they had the wrong bracket mounts on the engine block. i didnt know that there were two sizes of bracket mounts. i think it won't line up because my bracket are too long...so it makes the engine sit too high and won't slide down into the hole.

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
how bout post pics so we can see, its pretty straight forward,........most times

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
A buddy of mine had a hell of a time lining up the bolt holes on his TA when he upgraded to poly mounts. We ended up using some ratcheting tie-downs wrapped around the engine to pull it into place. Red-neck, yes, but it worked.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Isn't it great how "easy" and "cheap" it is to just put an SBC in an Olds?

(Sorry, that was too easy...)

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
joe_padavano said:
Isn't it great how "easy" and "cheap" it is to just put an SBC in an Olds?

(Sorry, that was too easy...)

Obviously a cheap shot from an Olds purist. That's fine.

However, it is cheap & easy if this guy woulda started with the correct parts from the get go.

If V8 Monte or V8 Malibu motor mounts would have been purchased this would be a non-issue. :roll:

I bought V8 Monte Carlo mounts for $20 at a local parts place & 1 hr later I had my SBC sitting in my Cutlass. It is that cheap & easy. :rofl:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
actually it's the motor that dictate the mounts you need...and those clamshells don't have discernible differences. We built a camaro super stock for this year and the front clip from the 1970 camaro wasn't in great shape so we used a front clip from a firebird. The pontiac engines were a mid size block (not a big block like some think) and although those clamshells looked like the ones for a SBC and the eurothane fit the clamshells the firebird clamshells wouldn't work...when you put the checy and pontiac clamshells beside each other you can see the subtle differences but they are real close,,,

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
when i put my sbc in my cutlass i had no problems at all,went down to napa told them i need the mounts for a chevy 305 for a 84 cutlass and hat was the end of it,

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I can't say that this is fact but, everytime i've used the block side mounts that came from a truck engine they would come close to fitting( get one side in but the other side would be off by a 1/4 to 1/2 inch). Using the block side mounts from a car it would drop right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor