F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams (MORE pics added)

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
bigjoenvegas said:
can I just walk into any O'Reilly's or Pep boys and ask for them?

You can also ask for the Moog HD ones for your application. I believe they're a little cheaper than the Energy Suspension ones....not by much anyway. Either way they should be listed for your car.

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
G-Body_Vet said:
bigjoenvegas said:

You can also ask for the Moog HD ones for your application. I believe they're a little cheaper than the Energy Suspension ones....not by much anyway. Either way they should be listed for your car.
But I have to get them for the GP sway bar. It's bigger than my stock El Camino one, right?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
bigjoenvegas said:
G-Body_Vet said:
bigjoenvegas said:

But I have to get them for the GP sway bar. It's bigger than my stock El Camino one, right?

I don't know why I was thinking of end links :blam:
If you measure the sway bar they should have the size listed with the correct bushings.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
G-Body_Vet said:
I have another unorthodox idea that I may try. Being that the fender-to-cowl braces are a little harder to find I think I'm just going to make them. I have some 3/4" EMT conduit laying around that I want to try. If I blow it out my *ss no big deal since it's like $3.29/10 feet. It's galvanized and you can even get it in red if you like :lol:

I was thinking about doing the same thing with the core support "X" braces and trunk braces, just in a different diameter. Whether it's as rigid as the factory....I don't know, but it's cheap enough to give it a shot.

Exactly what I used......

ssgpolo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2010
Ft Worth, Texas
Outstanding thread! I have been following this one for awhile. I am fixing.to put my 78 Cutlass on the road and have almost all of the braces. Iwill be fabricating a rear frame brace and firewall to core support brace. seems like evrything is a custom job on this car. Will be worth it.

Keep up the great posts!

chstonebraker

Greasemonkey
Feb 27, 2012
ok i really like useing the conduit idea cause its cheap.. but what size ... the 1/2 inch stuff looks to be the same size asthe one brace i have for the radiator to fender . or should i use the 3/4 inch stuff. also how do you guys go about bending this stuff.? the one support i have is bent so i must have to bend mine for clearance

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I made my fender supports out of 3/4" emt and I made my frame support braces out 3/4" rigid emt along with a gp bar.
I made my own crimper for the ends.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,479
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 2,509
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 2,481
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
chstonebraker said:
how did you bend them though
The thick frame braces I bent with the same hydraulic tubing bender I used for my roll bar. If you need to bend thinwall emt you could use a standard hand bender, if you have an electrician friend they should have one or you could probably rent one.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor