Factory 4 speed owners-looking for a measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Here are pics of all 3 common T5 lengths next to each other with a tape measure for scale.

As for the tilted Firebird T5. To the best of my knowledge that was done for clearance for linkage and later hydraulics. Tipping a left shifter farther left only exacerbates the situation. The 4 spd bellhousing is unique and I don't remember it being rotated. It is also dual bolt pattern. SBC and BOP. My 82 isn't here at the house nor is my spare bell for it. I'll get a pic when I go to my other building. Maybe tomorrow. The F body T5 housing is entirely different as far as I know. Chevy only. I've never compared the 2 oddly enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20170826_121653616_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170826_121653616_TOP.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20170826_121542256_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170826_121542256_TOP.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 153

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Here are pics of all 3 common T5 lengths next to each other with a tape measure for scale.

As for the tilted Firebird T5. To the best of my knowledge that was done for clearance for linkage and later hydraulics. Tipping a left shifter farther left only exacerbates the situation. The 4 spd bellhousing is unique and I don't remember it being rotated. It is also dual bolt pattern. SBC and BOP. My 82 isn't here at the house nor is my spare bell for it. I'll get a pic when I go to my other building. Maybe tomorrow. The F body T5 housing is entirely different as far as I know. Chevy only. I've never compared the 2 oddly enough.
The 82 F bodies did not have tilted bell housing. The issue was the tunnel was designed for a left offset shifter. The T5 has a centered shifter. It was easier to tilt it to the left to get the center shifter to line up with the existing hole in the tunnel. The 82 4 speeds and 83 5 speeds still had a mechanical clutch linkage with a z bar. The 84-up were hydraulic.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
This is where my T5 came through the floor. It's a mustang tailhousing. You can see the location for the factory auto cable and the mount for the auto console.

Attachments

• 20180314_180558.jpg
    20180314_180558.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 157

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
This is where my T5 came through the floor. It's a mustang tailhousing. You can see the location for the factory auto cable and the mount for the auto console.
That looks like the rear bracket for the automatic shifter. The front of the console on the Chevrolets mounts to the front of the shifter. Your T5 shifter is back far enough that it would be into the console.
Like I said previously, the Tremec 3550/TKO transmission has their standard rear shifter the same distance from the front flange as Mustang T5 as the Tremec was 3550/TKO was designed as a bolt in replacement for the Mustang T5.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Can I get a dimension from the front seat bolts to the back of the cutout in the hump? I want to locate my hump correctly when I do the carpet swap.

Is that a plastic trim piece that goes over the floor hump and below the boot to cover the carpet edges at the cut out?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Can I get a dimension from the front seat bolts to the back of the cutout in the hump? I want to locate my hump correctly when I do the carpet swap.

Is that a plastic trim piece that goes over the floor hump and below the boot to cover the carpet edges at the cut out?
It'll cover edge of the cut out which outlines the more rasied part of the hump (hope I explaned it clear enough). The older carpets had a pre-cut pattern in the jute pad to cut the hole

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The transmission that I want to install is a new Tremec TKO, not a T5. Here are some photos of how the shifter setup looks on it. Going by the measurements that I've taken, comparing a stock type Saginaw 4 speed with the correct '78-'81 A body shifter on it, the shifter location on the Tremec is about 2"-2 1/2" further to the rear, and roughly 1" further to the left of the centerline of the transmission than the stock setup. I'm going to call the supplier on Monday, to see if anything can be done, but I just want to make sure that my measurements are correct, by comparing with other owners who have a factory 4 speed setup.

Attachments

• thumbnail_DSCF2590.jpg
    thumbnail_DSCF2590.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 140
  • thumbnail_DSCF2592.jpg
    thumbnail_DSCF2592.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 144
  • thumbnail_DSCF2593.jpg
    thumbnail_DSCF2593.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
It'll cover edge of the cut out which outlines the more rasied part of the hump (hope I explaned it clear enough). The older carpets had a pre-cut pattern in the jute pad to cut the hole
So yes, there's a plastic trim piece I'm missing. Insert swear word here. Thanks. Do you know the dimenson? I'm trying to finish my conversion and I want it as close to "factory" as possible

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor