Factory 4 speed owners-looking for a measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
When I built my transmission I built a custom shift block that moved the shifter and additional 1 3/16 of an inch forward from the mustang location I also built a shifter to accommodate that move fwd. It also provides a 1-inch offset to the left. At this point I am about one inch farther back from the original factory location based on the 4 speed from my El Camino. Unfortunately the car was wrecked and I didn't measure anything I just saved the parts. I think if I introduce a little more offset to the left it should be fine. If not I will adjust accordingly

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The factory hump and plastic bezel will most likely not clear a centered shifter.
To add to that it might be good to source a trim bezel & boot from a earlier model (Camaro, Chevelle, Nova) for the new hole. Even getting the steel hump to cut up to match/adapt it in too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I didn't consider that thank you I have a hump from a G-Body I will look at the early f stuff as well

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
have you tried looking for a mid shift off set shifter like this
Hurst Blackjack Mid Shifter
hurst_driveline_mid_shifter.jpg

or this,

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks very much Joe. That looks more like it. I checked the link that you posted. Wow! There are quite a few different shifters on there.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks gnvair. It would appear that there is quite a selection when it comes to shifter location for these transmissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor