Factory 4 speed owners-looking for a measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Just an update on this. I called the supplier on Monday, and explained to them that the shifter location wasn't going to work. The rep that I spoke to, said that it would work. As part of the kit that I got, there is a sheetmetal piece included, that you're supposed to use if you're converting from an auto matic transmission to the Tremec. I believe that the sheetmetal piece is used to modify the transmission tunnel in order to allow for the shifter location that's on the 5 speed transmission, the way it is shipped to you.
Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I took photos of the existing shifter setup in the car, with the shifter boot removed, as well as my spare 4 speed and shifter, and the new Tremec transmission, for them to see what I'm talking about. They are fabricating a new shifter stub assembly for me. Its not the whole shifter, just the upper block that bolts to the lower part of the shifter. The upper part has the shifter stub, which has the piece with 2 bolt holes that the shifter lever is bolted to. The new stub assembly is supposed to relocate that stub to the location that I need. They will ship it to me, then I install it, and ship the stub assembly that it came with, back to them. I will get photos of both shifter stubs while I have them here, and post them up, so that you all can see the difference.
Wish me luck on this one.

Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to post an update on my situation. I received the updated shifter tower from the supplier this week. I've installed it in the transmission and taken some more measurements. It looks like this one is going to do the trick.

Attachments

• DSCF2614.JPG
    DSCF2614.JPG
    794.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF2610.JPG
    DSCF2610.JPG
    820.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF2611.JPG
    DSCF2611.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF2612.JPG
    DSCF2612.JPG
    797.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF2613.JPG
    DSCF2613.JPG
    820.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF2609.JPG
    DSCF2609.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Informative

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I haven't test fitted it yet, no. I probably won't be installing it until next year. I made the purchase now, while I could afford it. I gave the measurements that I made to the supplier, and they made this shifter tower to match my measurements. While I'm not absolutely 100% positive that it will fit like a glove, its a much better match to the setup on my spare Saginaw and shifter, and it should be within roughly half an inch of being centered in the opening, and the shifter boot should cover any difference.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The only reason why I was asking is because the factory shifter hump does not have a tremendous amount of room fore and aft of the stock 4 speed shifter.
The shifter mechanism on the Tremec looks like it takes up a lot of real estate especially towards the rear. So even though they modified the point where the stick bolts on to be in the stock location, they did not take into account the size of the area that it has to fit into.
Thus the reason I was asking if you test fit it into the car.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The only reason why I was asking is because the factory shifter hump does not have a tremendous amount of room fore and aft of the stock 4 speed shifter.
The shifter mechanism on the Tremec looks like it takes up a lot of real estate especially towards the rear. So even though they modified the point where the stick bolts on to be in the stock location, they did not take into account the size of the area that it has to fit into.
Thus the reason I was asking if you test fit it into the car.
I appreciate your concerns. I won't be absolutely sure until I try to install it in the car. The Tremec is bulkier than the Saginaw (which to me is understandable, because its a stronger transmission than the Saginaw), and the shfter tower may protrude into the shifter opening in the floor more than the stock unit, but the shifter boot is fairly tall, so if the new one is a bit higher, I don't think that will present a problem. As I said, at this point, I don't know for sure, and I won't know for sure until I try it. I know that its WAYYY better than it was with the shifter tower that was on it when I received it. I'll just have to remain optimistic for now, and deal with any issues as they arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor