Fast Power Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Have you considered wiring your window motors through relays? We did it on my brother's 78 Z28 with very good results. I intend to rewire the windows on my car this way.
http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=38811.0
View attachment 58090

Thanks for the figure.

I wonder where the passenger switch wires into this. This would work for a center switch F-body, but I still like the passenger to be able to roll up/down their own window after spending a day rewiring everything.

libeachboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2016
hi,
i installed new motors and new chrome/rubber door window wiper moldings last summer.
i used cardone industries #82-144 from summit @ $32.99. i'm really pleased.
'86 gp le.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the figure.

I wonder where the passenger switch wires into this. This would work for a center switch F-body, but I still like the passenger to be able to roll up/down their own window after spending a day rewiring everything.
Think of the switch in the diagram as the driver's side switch. The passenger switch would just be parallel with the passenger side of the 'two gang' switch. I will modify the wiring diagram and repost later. I don't have the tools here at home. Make no mistake, it will be a bit of a wiring project.

Reactions: 1 user

libeachboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2016
hi,
i installed new motors and new chrome/rubber door window wiper moldings last summer.
i used cardone industries #82-144 from summit @ $32.99. i'm really pleased.
'86 gp le.

i'm not sure i can answer accurately about actual speed. it was good or normal for sure.
but my attention was more directed toward concern about the motors torque against the new
window moldings. with that in mind the motors seemed nice and 'quick' to me.

Reactions: 1 users

libeachboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2016
if i can add a little more .... when i was installing the motors i thought i'd just wipe any stuff out of the vertical and horizontal rails/tracks (not disassembling or loosening anything. power widows can be soooo hard to work on). it turned out to be an all day job. there was a lot of stuff including very old and hard lubricant. i moved the window up and down and cleaned the horizontal tracks and thought i was good but the verticals were worse. wd40 and a roll of paper towels were my best friends for this job. keep in mind that the doors on our gp's are twice a big as, lets say, my 2005 camry. i'll bet the window glass weighs 10 to 15 lbs. when i had finished it still wasn't what i thought it should be and after a temper tantrum i noticed that the wheels in the tracks weren't turning correctly. the motor was pushing the almost stationary wheels. wd40 again - until it dripped out the bottom of the door. now i'm ok and the windows are quick. i hope this helps. power windows are tough.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I may try the voltage boost idea.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
For those to interested in the boost idea LMC has a dual relay kit around $40 already wired up....it worked and was designed for Squarebody trucks.........the kit.......

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CC9DP.htm#partsTable

......and the install........(I didnt mean to install the video since its not a G-body vehicle, can someone let me know if I need to delete the copy/paste link).....

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor