Fast Power Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Any pics of the install in your car........
20170131_205942.jpg

All I have is this picture from my phone.

I just followed the LMC video, but I already have a junction box on the fenderwell for my rally computer, Ford style starter solenoid, etc, so I didn't need to go to the battery.

Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
For those to interested in the boost idea LMC has a dual relay kit around $40 already wired up....it worked and was designed for Squarebody trucks.........the kit.......

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CC9DP.htm#partsTable

......and the install........(I didnt mean to install the video since its not a G-body vehicle, can someone let me know if I need to delete the copy/paste link).....

Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered up one of the LMC harness kits.
I wont have a chance to put it in for a while as Nova Scotia got dumped with snow and my baby is still in storage,but hopefully it will get done this summer.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Here are some more install pictures of the LMC harness on the Drivers door.

First I measured/marked the area for the relays to go, This it where the armrest is tall enough to fit the relays. Note the hole behind this area has a guillotine with gear teeth that will mess up ANYTHING that falls into this hole, so stay forward of this.
DSCF7142.JPG

Then I straightened a coat hanger and fed it through the bellows from the inside to the door:
DSCF7143.JPG

Wrapped the Power and Ground wire in the coat hanger...
DSCF7144.JPG

Then taped over it so it wouldn't snag:
DSCF7145.JPG

And pulled it through:
DSCF7146.JPG

Cut the Wire from the switch to the Power window motor:
DSCF7147.JPG

Separate and strip the 4 wire ends:
DSCF7148.JPG

Attach LMC kit wires per the instructions:
DSCF7149.JPG

Small gage relay wires go to the wires from the switch, Blue to blue, brown to black using the smaller gage blue butt connectors

Larger gage relay wires go to the Motor wires using the larger gage yellow butt connectors
DSCF7150.JPG

Blue/white to Blue, Brown/Blue to Black.

Relays were then riveted in place and strapped down with wireties to reduce rattles:
DSCF7152.JPG

Run the positive negative thru the firewall to the battery, add the supplied fuse holder and fuse and plug in the switches and reinstall the door panels and the windows should no longer be slow.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned here already.

I really hated the slow factory electric windows in my Elky. I bought a different designed setup from A1 Electric and installed them several years ago. They are WAY faster than the original type. I'm totally happy. No relays needed.
A1's kit will work with cars that had manual windows also. You can buy it with switches if your car is presently manual.
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=GM19-K
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=GM19-K

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Think of the switch in the diagram as the driver's side switch. The passenger switch would just be parallel with the passenger side of the 'two gang' switch. I will modify the wiring diagram and repost later. I don't have the tools here at home. Make no mistake, it will be a bit of a wiring project.

I wired up the passenger side lime the diagram you posted and all I get is a click from the positive side up or down, The relay that should be the ground is not passing the ground which causes the other relay to click. I get the same response using the driver door passenger window switch. I know that diagram was for a F body but it shouldn't make a difference since the only wires that affected are the leads to the window motor. Did you have problems on the F body similar to mine?

I found another diagram that I will try out, it includes a couple of diodes which makes sense.

power window relay.gif

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The problem I see with the original diagram posted is that the motors have 2 wires (Blue/blk and Blue/wht) and revering polarity on those wires makes the motor go up and down. To reverse polarity with 2 relays, you need SPDT relays (5 pole) and not SPST relays (4 pole). When Blue/wht wire is + the, the Blue/blk wire becomes the ground, and when the Blue/blk wire is +, the Blue/blk wire becomes the ground. That Post #3 circuit doesn't do that.

This circuit diagram in Post #3 seems to be for window motors with a separate ground wire (3 wire motors) or case common ground motors and not our 2 wire motors.

Our motors are NOT case common ground or 3 wire motors.

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I wired up the passenger side lime the diagram you posted and all I get is a click from the positive side up or down, The relay that should be the ground is not passing the ground which causes the other relay to click. I get the same response using the driver door passenger window switch. I know that diagram was for a F body but it shouldn't make a difference since the only wires that affected are the leads to the window motor. Did you have problems on the F body similar to mine?

I found another diagram that I will try out, it includes a couple of diodes which makes sense.

View attachment 67636

The Diodes aren't what are making that circuit work. The 5 pole SPDT relays are.

It would still work fine without the diodes. EE's put those diodes in their so they can seem smarter than us normal humans. The diode is just to extend the life of the relay by reducing voltage spikes. Voltage spikes may create problems after 1,000,000 window cycles, but you just pop on a another $4 Relay and you are good for another 1,000,000 window cycles.

I would rate the diodes as "not worth the effort" in this application, but I'm not an EE, just a normal human.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm going to check with my friend today who's installed stuff in cars for the last 1/4 century. He uses diodes in vehicles for door locks that reverse the polarity in the wires so I'll see what he says about this diagram and about the other diagram which would not work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor