Fuel pump leaking oil, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobskeeper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2010
So my fuel pump, big end by Holley , seems to be leaking oil. I've changed the breather on my valve cover cause I've been told that will help but it hasn't to any avail. There are Philips head screws around the fuel pump that I am going to try and tighten but other than that any suggestions?

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
If its a mechanical pump were talkin about the diaphram inside the pump is kaput change er out for a new one. Electric holly blue with filter before the pump and one after the regulator close to the carb. Eletric is always better cuz the mechanical pump floats at 5000 rpm hence lowering fuel pressure....

Jacobskeeper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2010
It is a mechanical fuel pump. It's brand new, big end by Holley with Holley 650 carb. My buddy just bought a new pump and his is doing it as well. Can all diaphragms be corrupt? Guess I could try and return it but what causes the diaphragm to take a sh*t when it's a week old? Both carb and pump have a 7 -1/2 pressure setting. My fuel delivery seems fine.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Brand new doesn't mean it wasn't sitting on a shelf in a warehouse for years. I once went through several pumps I had been saving and every one was leaking not only oil but then fuel too. I would try and return it since they are supposed to last years, it's not like anything you did caused this.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
Bad gasket on the mounting plate, when you changed pumps you prolly didn't remove the plate behind the pump and it prolly started leaking, or the gasket for the pump didn't seal well. So all you have to do is take it apart again and use a little silicon and seal it all up. :D

Jacobskeeper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2010
Just that simple? Lol I think I'll try that first before I go spend another 60 on a fp. Thanks!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
RockSS said:
Bad gasket on the mounting plate, when you changed pumps you prolly didn't remove the plate behind the pump and it prolly started leaking, or the gasket for the pump didn't seal well. So all you have to do is take it apart again and use a little silicon and seal it all up. :D
x2! A lot of people forget about that!

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Is that where you mean it is leaking? Where it mounts to the engine block? If so then ya you need a new gasket.

Jacobskeeper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2010
i assume thats where its coming from. the oil is around the whole area, like its pushing out and being blown back by the fan. there is a coat all over so ill put the silicone in this weekend so it can dry for a day. if that doesnt work then new pump it is

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
I had a similar issue where the fuel pump appeared to be leaking oil, it turned out to be coming from a bad seal job on the bottom of the timing cover and top of the oil pan and the fan was blowing it on the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor