Fusable link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Rule of thumb is 2 sizes smaller than the wire your are protecting. If you have a 10 gauge wire you would use a 12 gauge fuse link. It will LOOK about the same size as the insulation is different. It is made to burn and be visible after it does so. There has been more than a discussion on this forum regarding this.
Thanks bro I appreciate the help. I read a couple forums on it and when I was done I think I had information overload. Sometimes it’s hard to decipher people’s opinion and what actually is the best way.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
473BCCA5-40B9-48D7-8694-E577996943A0.jpeg
27CCB5B3-8B64-4E77-BB85-79ED3414CA41.jpeg
I found the culprit and it was this plug. There was no fusable link blown. Do you guys have any ideas about the cause?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Very common, too much draw. This was common even when the cars were only a decade old. Usually seen in areas where the A/C gets used a lot on high.

As the terminals get older and more corroded from atmospheric conditions, resistance increases and it gets worse. Really needs a weatherpak connector, or a soldered splice would be best, but you'd lose the ability to disconnect harness as a subassembly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd fix that with its own fusable link on that as part of the repair. My harness currently has that deleted when I originally removed the A/C (& had a simular burnt plug.) I haven't figures out a fix for that issue yet. Might run a Maxi fuse coming off a seperate hot feed.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The burnt connector was pretty common as it was a poor design and increased draw due to age. Bypass properly and check current draw on blower motor, check GROUND.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
That’s a good idea with the fusable link. The ground strap on the firewall has paint on it. Is this gonna cause problems?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Rule of thumb is 2 sizes smaller than the wire your are protecting. If you have a 10 gauge wire you would use a 12 gauge fuse link. It will LOOK about the same size as the insulation is different. It is made to burn and be visible after it does so. There has been more than a discussion on this forum regarding this.

I have read for a fusible link it's a 4 gauge difference.

"They are generally selected to protect a particular size circuit wire and the general rule of thumb is the fusible link gauge should be 4 less than the circuit it's protecting (thus a 12 gauge circuit will be protected by a 16 gauge fusible link). "

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-links.html

"When placing a fusible link, use a wire guage 4 gauges smaller than the existing wiring circuit. If it is a 14 gauge system, use 18 gauge fusible link wire."

http://www.jttproducts.com/store/categories/101/Fusible-Link-Wire

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have read for a fusible link it's a 4 gauge difference.

"They are generally selected to protect a particular size circuit wire and the general rule of thumb is the fusible link gauge should be 4 less than the circuit it's protecting (thus a 12 gauge circuit will be protected by a 16 gauge fusible link). "

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-links.html

"When placing a fusible link, use a wire guage 4 gauges smaller than the existing wiring circuit. If it is a 14 gauge system, use 18 gauge fusible link wire."

http://www.jttproducts.com/store/categories/101/Fusible-Link-Wire

I hear you but I don't think I agree with you. Let me do a little research. I may be wrong and I will readily admit it but if I am right you owe me a beer:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor