G bodies in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Here's what a couple days does around here...
There are literally crystals of salt forming around all the edges where it collects. The amount of salt and chemicals they lay down is unbelievable.

It takes one of two things to drive a G-body up here in the winter...
Either a heart of stone, or a car that isn't that nice to begin with... :lol:

I've driven several of my past g-bodies in the winter and all of them were great, my favorite was my Malibu wagon.
I've been trying to get my hands on another good G-bomber for a while now...

Attachments

• WP_000560.jpg
    WP_000560.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 708

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had a 3ft drift on the hood this morning. But she's ready and willing.
P1020207_zpsc0ee3511.jpg

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
Question for you guys who dont drive there gbody in the winter, how often do you start your car? is it good to start it and let it idle for a while every couple weeks? or does that do more harm than good?

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
I see some fellow gbody fans keep on going even through winter not in my case Im in Idaho so when it first snowed I put her away then took her out for the day and just could not bear the thought of an accident or rust so back she went into hibernation even though the snow is cleared off the road shes not coming out till spring.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Snowman, the best is to remove the battery and store it inside where you can charge it often, clean the plugs, change the oil, some people even use marine fogging oil to rust proof the combustion chambers. I just plug in a solar charger and set it on the dash of a car that doesn't get used much, and throw a regular charger on once in a while, all year long.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
Bonnewagon said:
Snowman, the best is to remove the battery and store it inside where you can charge it often, clean the plugs, change the oil, some people even use marine fogging oil to rust proof the combustion chambers. I just plug in a solar charger and set it on the dash of a car that doesn't get used much, and throw a regular charger on once in a while, all year long.
oh okay, so you dont start it at all throughout the winter season eh.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
snowmangaggift said:
Bonnewagon said:
oh okay, so you dont start it at all throughout the winter season eh.

and don't leave the battery sitting on concrete. If you don't start the engine through the winter when you do start it in the spring turn the engine over without firing it up until oil pressure builds up.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, I meant SOME guys don't start it at all, and do all that stuff. I use my cars all year, but I use a bicycle a lot, so they tend to sit for long periods, so I plug in the solar charger just to keep the battery topped off. The wagon gets used the least, but if I had to get to the Hospital in a snow storm, she's the one. V-8, manual trans, posi, snow tires- never gets stuck. Steve, I think that concrete myth is just that. A dirty battery will leak current to ground (concrete). A clean battery won't.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't start my cars at all during the storage months.
Starting your car and letting it run can actually do more harm than good.
Letting it run really just creates more chances for moisture to collect in places like your exhaust system or crank case, since it doesn't get cleared out as well idling as opposed to being driven.

Aside from keeping everything else properly serviced, I just fill them with non-oxy gas and disconnect the battery till they're ready to come out in the spring.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bonnewagon said:
, but I use a bicycle a lot,

I thought only Ford owners did that... :mrgreen:

Bonnewagon said:
Steve, I think that concrete myth is just that. A dirty battery will leak current to ground (concrete). A clean battery won't.

hmmm....after many milliseconds of extensive research your right with the newer batteries but it turns out it isn't really a myth.....

"Car batteries used to be encased in hard rubber, a substance that was porous enough that battery acid could seep through it and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. The cases of today’s batteries, however, are made of sturdier stuff that far better contains their contents than those of yesteryear. As well, time has brought technological improvements to the seals around the posts and the vent systems. "

"Interestingly, some experts (including Car Talk's Click and Clack) believe that storing car batteries on concrete floors might actually be a better idea than keeping them on shelves or other surfaces because the cold of the floor works to slow the self-discharge (leakage) rate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor