Glass blasted GN hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I would have also used a different primer. Rattle can paint just isnt the same as it was 20 years ago. The VOC laws ruined it. When I was redoing the front end of my wagon I used an epoxy primer and a 2K paint on almost everything. The small pieces that I did with spray bombs are already rusty. I hate doing things twice.
You already used it but for the future I would use a better primer on something thats been blasted.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Again, red oxide primer isnt what it used to be. Originally it was lacquer based. Self etching primer should be used over bare metal.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
all primers are porous, some more than others

Which is why primer is used before painting, and not as a topcoat or long-term exposed coating.

Epoxy primer, rather than primer or primer/surfacer will tolerate exposure without the adverse effects of an uncatalayzed coating.

Both have their place, but 1k primers do not belong on automobiles, IMO.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Which is why primer is used before painting, and not as a topcoat or long-term exposed coating.

Epoxy primer, rather than primer or primer/surfacer will tolerate exposure without the adverse effects of an uncatalayzed coating.

Both have their place, but 1k primers do not belong on automobiles, IMO.

I only said I didn't see a problem using it on bare metal as a primer. I have seen it used on cars without any issues. I did not suggest to use as a top coat or to leave it with just the primer covering the metal.

plus the op was just showing us what he had done. He wasn't asking for suggestions on how to do it. This is a great forum for bodywork and painting... keep in mind in Canada we have some draconian voc laws which leave us two main choices: solvent-based (acrylic urethane) or waterborne..... https://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

and if anyone want to do some reading... https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/i/462316-ppg-custom-restoration-guide

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor