BUILD THREAD GP403's sort-of-build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
ooh now I'm reading on some other forums that this clutch kit (used in A LOT of stuff) may have been mis-packed with the wrong throw out, not far from when I bought it. nice. its been collecting dust way too long to return it..... hmmm.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
OK so the other one I had is the right one, and the one I posted the pic of is either the firebird one, or for a car w/o air conditioning. Doesn't matter. It does go around the fill tube and the water neck.... But it puts the inlet about 1.5-2" further back than the carb is. I wonder if the edelbrock intake moves the carb forward or something? But neither here nor there. I figured I'd persuade it to fit, so several trips back and forth to the vise and voila, it more or less fits around everything and even screws in properly. Not too bad. It may be slightly more restricted but I don't think its enough to matter.

pix before and after bendorama....
View attachment 76719 View attachment 76720
That bend looks nasty in this pic but its really not that bad. Just the angle/light/reflections.

Maybe the problem is that you installed your fuel pump upside down? ;)

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yeah it sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging. Hopefully you can adjust some slack out of the linkage and won't have to drop the trans. to swap the throwout bearing. Loving the progress, by the way.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Well, so far what I've deduced is that a "flat diaphragm" kit came off, and a "raised diaphragm" kit went in. If I look up on Rock Auto a '79 Olds (which is what the bellhousing came off of, the 5-spd.) it shows the "flat" kit, and if I look up a '79 Pontiac (the trans itself) its the "raised" kit, which I got. Surely there isn't a difference between Olds and Pontiac here? The 5-speed bellhousing/fork setup different? Stumped. But yeah, I'll be checking it out.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
found a helper and was able to adjust it out in the linkage. mostly. I'm still getting a very slight drag feel/sound on the clutch with it in but I'm not sure if maybe that's normal or not. Problem is I am almost out of threads on the rod. :( But its definitely not a show stopper. will look at finding a longer one (surely that's a thing) or even just a length of all-thread (?)

Still stumped why the replacement clutch kits would be listed different but whatever. Thought the BOP stuff was the same. Maybe the flywheels? *shrug*

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If your helper pushes in the clutch pedal and you can turn the clutch disc with your fingertips, you should be good to go.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Went through some similar clutch issues with my kid's 80 K10. The bellhousing was cracked, so I bought a nice used one off Craigslist, same casting #, what could go wrong? Depending on what clutch was originally installed in that bellhousing there are different length pivots that the fork will ride on. Mine actually had too long of a pivot ball, so I got to pull a cast iron SM465/NP205 combo out for fun. Then I got to buy a new pivot because I scrapped the old bellhousing. It may not be your problem, but it may be worth checking. I found a guide list online for correct pivot/clutch type.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Looking at the '79 Pontiac service manual which was basically a small update to the '78, it specifies that clutches "will now be bent finger and the flat finger clutch is no longer used." No idea if Olds made the same statement, probably where the difference comes from.

OPGI makes a longer 7.5" (vs my 6") clutch rod. But they want $52 bucks for the thing. I mean, yeah its a pretty specific part but DAMN its a glorified bolt. Finding actual lengths on anything else is impossible. Looks like they're out there but no idea if any of it is the right size.

Going to make one last adjustment/check on it and see what else I can get done today.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
can I start it lol ;)

So, snafu'd. :mad: Water pump is about 1/4" shorter than the oem one. :mad: I should have put the pulleys on to check before it went in, but for some reason didn't bother. WP pulley is hitting on the balancer pulley face. Soooooo looks like that needs to happen. That's not that bad a job though. especially since I haven't filled it up with coolant yet.

Alternator on, wiring/vac lines/throttle hooked up. Water pump, pulleys/belts, radiator/hoses, fluids, and battery and should be there.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor