HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Last night I noticed it started running rough. I swapped the distributors back out this morning. Still running rough. I put a new set of plugs in it and still rough. I took off the Demon from the El Camino and put it on the Salon. No more running rough. WTF? Makes me wonder if there's some casting flash stuck in that Holley. So now the real issues begin. My steel fuel line is not going to work since the fuel inlet on the Demon is on the right rear. My custom throttle linkage bracket won't work and my stock air cleaner won't work. Going to have to do some thinking to get the stock air cleaner to work. Just another day in my crappy life
No don't talk like that I read your thred to get inspiration to work on my stuff!!! I know you got this!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I modified the throttle linkage bracket and painted it. I'll have to buy a piece of steel line from the parts store to bend up for a fuel line. I got it running right now with rubber fuel hose and hose clamps. I took it for a drive and I got to say, it runs way better and no stumble shifting gears and getting back on throttle. I heard some detonation so I had to back off the timing. Before the test drive I had it idling in the driveway, I grabbed the linkage and held it about 2000 rpm for a few seconds. I noticed the upper radiator hose suck together. I got back from my test drive and repeated that and it did not suck together. What the heck causes that? It's a new hose

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Water pump pulling a slight vacuum because the thermostat wasn't open yet?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Its not all that uncommon, we just aren't looking under the hood while its happening. That's the reason many lower hoses used to have the wire coil inside.
I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I had forgotten about an issue with my rims being bent. When I had the tires put on about two years ago, the guy said all 4 rims were bent badly. I had already had them blasted, painted, etc. before having the tires put on. The guy showed me two of them on the balancer and they were wobbling like crazy. The guy had big weights all over the rims. I had removed all the weights off two rims because it looked horrible. So fast forward to recently. I have been driving mainly paved back roads to get the car lined out. I took it out on the highway once and it was vibrating. So I've been trying to locate another set of 14" steel Cutlass rallys. This morning I removed all four wheels and the wheel weights. I loaded them in the El Camino and went to a different tire shop. The rims are NOT bent. He thinks that the tire shop that mounted them didn't have the wheels mounted correctly to the balancer machine. One wheel took 3.25 oz of weight and he said it was the tire. I have not got them back on the car yet but itching to get it on the highway. After installing the reman steering box, the car is a pleasure to drive AND I've not got it aligned yet. I did do my own driveway alignment with a bubble level and a curtain rod though

Reactions: 2 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The carburetor change screwed up some stuff including my highly modified stock air cleaner. It would not sit on the Demon carb so I had to cut up a drop base for the bottom of the stock air cleaner. I also had to notch it for the accelerator pump linkage and plate that in. Got some 2K primer on my bodywork. Will 180 dry block and reprime hopefully tomorrow.

20170912_174104_resized.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Glad your getting it figured out.

• Agree

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
If the wheels don't pan out I have a set you could borrow that I took off the blue car. They're of course blue and two have one size taller tires.... pretty sure they're just plain old 14x6.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The right side tail light lens that someone shot with a BB gun has been a mess trying to find a replacement. My Salon is a 1978 but the tail light lens' are from a 1979. In my opinion, the 79s look more like a Cutlass with the split in the middle. So after scouring salvage yards and ebay with no luck, I needed a solution before the G Body cruise. The damage is on the edge so I cut a strip of thin sheet metal and painted it red. I went to every store in Claremore looking/comparing reflective tapes. I found some at NAPA that I liked. I cut it with a tint knife and a metal straight edge. I used 2 part epoxy on the metal strip I made and glued it on the tail light lens. I stuck on a strip of reflective tape on both sides to make it uniform. I thought about doing all four sides but the designs would be up side down. This will be a pretty good safety thing at night I'm thinking. So now I need to do the other side but came in for lunch.

20170913_101156_resized.jpg
20170913_101227_resized.jpg
20170913_115126_resized.jpg
20170913_115139_resized.jpg
20170913_122305_resized.jpg

• Creative
  • Useful
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor