HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
This is the last big project to do on the Salon besides wiring up my cd changer. I went through my upholstery remnants and found a section of panel board just big enough to do both upper door panels. I ground off the press punched teeth on the back of the metal trim and used 1/8x1/4 rivets. They almost fit flush in the press punched holes perfectly. I used some aerosol clear coat on the board to help keep off moisture. After pop riveting on the board, I barely took down the center dome of the rivet head with a roloc disk. The 442 emblems are for 76-77 442 fenders. They have the same font as mine. I put them in the same location as the Cutlass Salon emblem was. My base model door panels had no pull straps and I'm glad of it. I'll be upholstering them with foam and the same velour material as my seats.

20170915_110643_resized.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
As I'm pacing pissed off about building two left side boards. I don't have enough rivet washers to do the other side. Another trip to Lowes in order. I start up the Salon and the blower fan is not working. The ac compressor is running though. I get out my test light and start probing wires. Everything has power. I jumped the fan directly to the battery and nothing. I removed one from my Monte Carlo parts car that has a VDO sticker on it and it's working now. Glad it happened now instead of on the way to Springfield. I took off to get gas because it's almost empty. I got flogged at the gas station. It was cool. Got out on the highway and got up to 70mph. No vibration and very nice straight driving. I got down town to the first stop light and look beside me and a lady is taking a pic or video of my car. This makes all the trouble I had on this build totally worth it.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
The upper door panel is plain Jane but I dig it.
so many times, guys want to go to the extreme on the look of even the smallest stuff, that it goes overboard and ruins the look.... sometimes the "plain-jane" look, like this, is the perfect touch!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
WEIRD, I started the Salon this morning to go to the parts store. The blower motor did not come on again??? So while I was at the parts store I bought a new one. I installed it and it's working. Something is knocking the motors out because I can wire them direct to battery and they won't come on. I am suspecting a weak ground so I cleaned up a braided ground strap from the Monte parts car and bolted it to an existing hole in the back side of the fender. I ran it to the ac dryer clamp bracket which is where the strap was on the Monte. I then made a jumper ground wire and screwed it together with the ground pin on the blower motor. Anyone got ideas on why it has popped two blower motors? I'll know in a couple days if this jumper ground fixes it.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So I got out the DA, 3000, and 4000 pads and got busy. I'm not sanding the gold because of the raised tape edge. This is the first time the cars been glazed and waxed. It's not been this shinney until now. I still have the passengers side to do. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

20170916_163911_resized.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor