HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So I'm not out of the woods yet. When I drive with the air conditioning on, it runs a little hotter. At idle with ac on it got over 220 and maybe 230. I think it's about 210 ish driving down the highway. I switched off the ac still idling in driveway and it cooled back down to 195-200. The hot air from the fan with it at that operating temp(ac on) had everything hot to the touch under the hood. I rested my arm on the metal cross brace and it burned my arm. This heat has my power steering fluid coming out from under the cap and I'm afraid it blew my front shaft seal in my new steering box. I have a single row aluminum radiator that must not be stout enough for it to get that hot at idle with ac on. I may upgrade to a thicker core radiator and a power steering cooler. I'm not going to do a radiator swap till after the cruise to Springfield. I just will not run the air conditioner. I will put on a power steering cooler because it's a simple project. I will have to change the front shaft seal on the steering box so that sucks. Looks like I have to buy a partial rebuild kit ($50) just for that seal. I also still have a very rich idle. It literally makes your clothes stink. I've been reading my manual on the 625cfm road demon carb on rich idle circuit. Caused from low vacuum from performance cam. I bought a Demon tuning kit for this. Turns out, I can swap springs on the rods from the top of the carb. A lighter spring leans out the idle mixture. So tomorrow, plans are to get a power steering cooler from my local parts store and get it installed. I'm sure they will have to order the steering box kit. Also want to play with the springs on the carb. I'm running out of time for the cruise to Springfield and need more driving under my belt before heading off this weekend.
That doesn't sound like enough radiator for an A/C equipped car. I have a 3 row copper/brass radiator for my car.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've had a two row Champion aluminum radiator in my El Camino for almost two years now. So I went to ebay hunting for another Champion. I found a 4 row Aluminum Champion so I grabbed it. If it comes in before Saturday, I'll install it. 4 rows is overkill in my opinion but this should cure my issue. I hated to spend the money right now but this car is right there on being completely finished up and I'm tired of fighting it

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
That doesn't sound like enough radiator for an A/C equipped car. I have a 3 row copper/brass radiator for my car.
I'm with ya on that but it's for a 305 equipped F body with air conditioning. F bodys don't even have much of a mouth to pull in air like a G body. We'll see cause I just bought a massive Champion (4 row)

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm with ya on that but it's for a 305 equipped F body with air conditioning. F bodys don't even have much of a mouth to pull in air like a G body. We'll see cause I just bought a massive Champion (4 row)
A 4 row Champion will get it done. I'm somewhat surprised by the application for the radiator you're using. My only direct experience with a 3rd gen F body was with a V6 Firebird and it ran hot (220°+) all the time. It was unacceptable to me at the time but nothing that was done would help it.

Are you sure you have enough advance for your base timing? Is your vacuum advance plugged into manifold vacuum? Is your fan pulling air across the radiator well?

Since you have the issue when running the A/C only, I still believe it is an issue with insufficient cooling capacity in the radiator.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Another thing to consider is the gap between the radiator and condenser. I put foam around the perimeter and noticed a definite improvement in AC performance and engine cooling. I think a big 4 row is a great idea though.
Too bad about the leaky seal. I wouldn't necessarily blame the underhood heat for that.

• Agree

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
A 4 row Champion will get it done. I'm somewhat surprised by the application for the radiator you're using. My only direct experience with a 3rd gen F body was with a V6 Firebird and it ran hot (220°+) all the time. It was unacceptable to me at the time but nothing that was done would help it.

Are you sure you have enough advance for your base timing? Is your vacuum advance plugged into manifold vacuum? Is your fan pulling air across the radiator well?

Since you have the issue when running the A/C only, I still believe it is an issue with insufficient cooling capacity in the radiator.
I have my vacuum advance on the ported port on carb. A tissue will stick to the grille from the fan pulling air. Timing is good

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So this morning I drove to the parts store in the Salon. I guess that fast ratio box was the last one they could get. Unavailable everywhere he looked. He gave me the front shaft seal kit to fix it. He also ordered the power steering cooler and it's supposed to be there at 10am. I bought 12 feet of power steering hose just because I will put one on my Monte in the future. On the way back I got caught in a rain storm. Pisses me off because I had it detailed. It gets down to the last week before the cruise and it's been issue after issue and rained for 3 days now. I'm not going down without a fight though :mad:

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've been doing a lot of research on power steering fluid and cooling. Guys that autocross their cars generate a lot of under hood temperature. This heats up the already hot power steering fluid and it boils over. They use synthetic power steering fluids that have a higher boiling rate. They also run small power steering coolers. Obviously I'm not autocrossing but the insufficient cooling system with ac on is raising my under hood temps and causing the fluid to boil. So for around $50 I'm putting on a Hayden 1010 cooler and Royal Purple synthetic power steering fluid. I do believe after I install the 4 core radiator, I probably would never have an issue again but I learned something new and it's an inexpensive upgrade for the ease of mind.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've been doing a lot of research on power steering fluid and cooling. Guys that autocross their cars generate a lot of under hood temperature. This heats up the already hot power steering fluid and it boils over. They use synthetic power steering fluids that have a higher boiling rate. They also run small power steering coolers. Obviously I'm not autocrossing but the insufficient cooling system with ac on is raising my under hood temps and causing the fluid to boil. So for around $50 I'm putting on a Hayden 1010 cooler and Royal Purple synthetic power steering fluid. I do believe after I install the 4 core radiator, I probably would never have an issue again but I learned something new and it's an inexpensive upgrade for the ease of mind.
I've ran the Royal Purple fluid for years in my cars and have never had an issue. It doesn't cost much more than the other stuff anyways. With the upgrades you are doing, the salon should be just fine from here out.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor