half year cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Remember that GN, and other g-body production continued until mid-Dec 1987. Although they were technically built in the '88 model year, GN's were all tagged as '87. The Monte Carlo and Olds Cutlass on the other hand were also produced until Dec. of '87, but the cars built from sept. thru dec. of '87 are labeled as '88's

As for an '80 Monte that looks like an '81, that's impossible. The bodystyle was completely changed for the '81 model year.

And the '79 built in june of '79 that has an '80 nose...are you the original owner? I would say that somebody changed it.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
especially with emissions.... i have been doing diagnostics almost 22 years . Take a look at the diagnostic connectors on some 95s and 96s when they were making the transition from obd1 and obd2 . that should have broken some type of law . i dont think they much cared , the engineers were designing for efficiency in cost , not caring about the poor soul that would have to eventually repair that god awful mess . Like that 95 Z34 Monte Carlo my ex wife ran off with.....( thank god for both ) the engines controls were so sensitive as it was still somewhat of an experiment , that it didnt take much more than looking at it too hard to set a code.......... anyone that has had to do some serious diag work on those 3.4 dohc engines would prob agree. :twisted:

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
oh, i'm nowhere near the original owner, and i know it's been worked on, and been in a collision, so chances are it's been replaced, but given the late build date, i like to think it's possible that they just threw what they had on there!

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
eddieb1969 said:
especially with emissions.... i have been doing diagnostics almost 22 years . Take a look at the diagnostic connectors on some 95s and 96s when they were making the transition from obd1 and obd2 . that should have broken some type of law . i dont think they much cared , the engineers were designing for efficiency in cost , not caring about the poor soul that would have to eventually repair that god awful mess . Like that 95 Z34 Monte Carlo my ex wife ran off with.....( thank god for both ) the engines controls were so sensitive as it was still somewhat of an experiment , that it didnt take much more than looking at it too hard to set a code.......... anyone that has had to do some serious diag work on those 3.4 dohc engines would prob agree. :twisted:

I had one of those cars. I hated it so bad!! :x Mine had problems with it running like crap every morning when I started it. It would rarely set a code and even the dealership could never figure it out. I got really lucky and got rear ended and it got totaled out. I got a couple of grand in my pocket and used part of that money for a down payment on the 2000 Grand Prix I have now and it barely has any problems and has 175,000 miles. Also that stupid engine was such a pain in the butt to work on!! You can barely do any thing on that car easily. It did have decent power though.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
I agree . had great hp and gobs of torque . Somedays it would act up for no apparent reason , and later just calm down . Alternator replacement was a b*tch , and so was the power steering hose . Had to drop the k member down in the back to get to it , but could only go so many inches or it would damage the car . when i replaced the intake gaskets , i changed everything i could reach while i had that thing apart arrghh . gotta stop now or i will have nightmares..... :shock:

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
eddieb1969 said:
I agree . had great hp and gobs of torque . Somedays it would act up for no apparent reason , and later just calm down . Alternator replacement was a b*tch , and so was the power steering hose . Had to drop the k member down in the back to get to it , but could only go so many inches or it would damage the car . when i replaced the intake gaskets , i changed everything i could reach while i had that thing apart arrghh . gotta stop now or i will have nightmares..... :shock:

my buddy has a lumina z34 and it has 250k miles on it. Its a pretty fast car, loads more than my 3100 but his Twin DOHC 3.4 likes to stall out allot.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
R/T kota said:
joe_padavano said:
As for an 87 GN with an 88 build date, that is not legally possible. Automakers are forbidden under federal law from building older design cars in later model years. The requirements on safety, emissions, etc. all require very specific certification for the specific model year. If an automaker were to build a 1987 model car (for example) with an 87 VIN in 1988, that's absolutely against federal law.

Who`s federal law? Yours or ours?
Car was built in Canada and its not the first one I have heard of.
This one however was special ordered and originally owned by the GM of Canada vice president.

Good point. I did not notice your location. I was referring to US laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor