Head Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This title is very misleading,I thought it was going to be something more of a domestic capacity..
David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
This is what came to my mind...
Foreigner-head-games-79.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
  • Happy
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Huh!! interesting jacket art. Do not recall ever seeing that album and Foreigner got way too much air time on the local AM stations which bumped off other more interesting bands and music. Think they call that censorship.

Yeah, I think I am definitely going to hang onto those 706 heads. They will likely become candidates for a valve spring upgrade at some point in the future, butt not tomorrow. I also want to lose the truck air plenum and sub in something with a lower profile. Even if i do not stuff in a different cam, I may still do the springs just to be happier about them. As stand alones they are something of an overkill but the stockers have such a poor reputation/tolerance for any kind of lift beyond the factory spec that doing the exchange is valuable if for nothing else but peace of mind.

I am still on the hunt for the correct engine management harness as the one I had started to harvest over at the yard turned out to be for a Fly by wire accelerator pedal and since the throttle body had no provision for pull/push cables, the harness/computer was evidently wired/programmed to work only with the computer driven go pedal, which made it NFG for my needs. Did manage to identify another suitable candidate but it will be next week before I can revisit the yard and start uncoupling all the electrical connections. Virtue to that is it will give the yard time to dry out and the puddles to dry up. What Fun?!?!?!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The truck intake is ugly but the long runners make torque. It clears the hood in a G body so it will clear in an S10. It wouldn't clear in my brother's 78 Z28 so we went with a car intake (in his case an LS3 intake since his engine is the gen IV L96 6.0 with the rectangle port heads).
Camaro engine bay 3-14-2014 7.JPG

If you are set on going with a car intake look for the LS6. It's cathedral port and slightly improved over the LS1.

The Comp 26918 springs are the popular upgrade over the stock springs and will accommodate as much lift as you will want to throw at that engine.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also, if you go with a car intake, you are likely going to change the front accessory drive. The truck water pump doesn't play nice with car intakes.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yes on both counts. Thanks for the data dump, Texas82GP. I printed off your response to hard copy to include in the file I am starting to build on this endeavor. My desire to swap those springs is mainly driven by the understanding they are essentially marginal for anything heavier than a stock cam. I suppose I could plug a cam in from another generation or bigger cid but if I go that far I might as well go for the brass ring and get a cam that I know will do what I ask of it, and not end up getting saddled with someone's take out that turns out to be incorrect for the application or intent.

Any thoughts on what year or model of car accessory drive to go diving for?

Most of what shows up in the yards around here is truck stuff and mostly because the cabs, front fenders, and boxes have succumbed to Rusticulosis, which is essentially both terminal and fatal and which presence can be typically diagnosed based on the presence of huge red or black splotches on the vehicle finish, panels exhibiting extreme metal loss and degradation, and the absence of major sections of the cabin floor and rocker panels. Think Flintstone Flyer here (LOL)

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yes on both counts. Thanks for the data dump, Texas82GP. I printed off your response to hard copy to include in the file I am starting to build on this endeavor. My desire to swap those springs is mainly driven by the understanding they are essentially marginal for anything heavier than a stock cam. I suppose I could plug a cam in from another generation or bigger cid but if I go that far I might as well go for the brass ring and get a cam that I know will do what I ask of it, and not end up getting saddled with someone's take out that turns out to be incorrect for the application or intent.

Any thoughts on what year or model of car accessory drive to go diving for?

Most of what shows up in the yards around here is truck stuff and mostly because the cabs, front fenders, and boxes have succumbed to Rusticulosis, which is essentially both terminal and fatal and which presence can be typically diagnosed based on the presence of huge red or black splotches on the vehicle finish, panels exhibiting extreme metal loss and degradation, and the absence of major sections of the cabin floor and rocker panels. Think Flintstone Flyer here (LOL)
If you already have the truck accessories, consider aftermarket brackets from someone like ICT billet that repackages them. Where you will really need to do your homework is selecting the water pump that will work with the intake you go with. If you're putting it in your S10, I'd run the truck intake and accessory drive. We used the Corvette accessory drive on my brother's car. It was expensive but suited or needs in that it is all new and fits the chassis very well. We used a Holley A/C compressor bracket and an R4 compressor. We did this probably 6 or 7 years ago. If I had it to do over, perhaps we would have gone with a Sanden compressor. The R4 is much maligned but my understanding is that if you keep them under 4k RPM they will live. We have a window switch on my brother's so it will only run between like 600 and 3750 RPM.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Well, the short answer to that is No, the accessory brackets had already been harvested from this motor by the time I lucked into it. I can score truck accessory brackets fairly easily. That is just a short drive and a walk out into the yard and the correct socket on a ratchet. For the Air, I would probably try to keep my current compressor and system; simpler and no issues with draining it or recharging it. Still working on identifying the correct oil pan for this. The stock pan would likely fit without clipping the crossmember but the sump is for a 4x4. Possibility is that the 2x4 version might work as a substitute if the sump depth proves to be shallower by about 3 inches or so. Not looking to get the sump sectioned and rewelded. Tigging new aluminum is a cheap date but anything that has been exposed to contamination such as oil or grease or ?? which gets right into the pores of the aluminum is going to cause problems for the guy on the trigger and maybe end up with porous or leaky seams.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Oh, yeah, as for the water pump, the one on this motor maybe a cropper; the pulley does not spin freely which makes me think that either the bearing is slowly dying or that there is crud or corrosion in the main impeller cavity that is binding up things. Up here a new one is around 2 C's with tax, so.....

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor