Head Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Another cheaper alternative is the TBSS or NNBS intake, has excellent gains over the traditional truck intake and cheaper than all your other options. Dont overthink it.

If its a NA car, for a quick rip around town you will not notice a big difference switching from a truck intake to a LS-6 intake.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Okay. The engine management harness and its matching ECM are both coming from a same year, 2002, 5.3 that I am presently picking apart at my local yard. The back story on the harness is that, due to a broken hydraulic pump, they can't lift the truck to get access to the pan, starter, lower block, and t-mission connections for the harness to get it free. Everything topside is unplugged. The ECM/ECU is already here and stashed in my Monte's cabin.

Yeah, I am planning on staying with the 706 casting cathedral port head. I just need some guidance on which part number LS-6 plenum I ought to be looking for. Typical GM, they came in multiple iterations that had different part numbers. Around here they are not thick on the ground. Most of the LS series motors are truck orphans which means they got an entirely different plenum tp ply with. Changing to the LS plenum give me more room between the hood and the plenum itself.

Nick
Just an idea on the pcm and harness, Current Performance makes an integration harness with all of the pins and connectors to put an LS into and S10 or Blazer. Its a little pricey around $900, but its a clean install and retains all of the factory gauges and hookups.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Another cheaper alternative is the TBSS or NNBS intake, has excellent gains over the traditional truck intake and cheaper than all your other options. Dont overthink it.

If its a NA car, for a quick rip around town you will not notice a big difference switching from a truck intake to a LS-6 intake.
Just the looks of the LS6 are much better IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I wasn't really considering the looks of the intake when I started digging into options here. My primary concern was overhead height between the intake and the inner skin of the hood if I found the motor mounts lifting the motor to any degree.

What I am dealing with here is a two prong problem, ground clearance and overhead clearance. The LS-6 intake will give me the overhead clearance that I need without going through the exercise of shaving a stock truck intake down. Mind you, I do know where to score a cheao truck intake for an 02 but shaving it removes a couple of essential mounting bosses that accept the brackets needed for the throttle body actuator cable and the cruise control actuator cable. I am not fly by wire here; this situation is pure mechanics.

As for ground clearance, my 5.3 came from an 02 Avalanche truck, and quite probably a 4x4 as it has the deep sump pan. That pan is too deep and suggestions that the motor can be raised would work for a full sized truck engine bay but not for us S-10r's; there is just not enough overhead room in there to do it. There are pan options out there that, as I accumulate a budger for this, I may explore in more depth. Holley in particular makes a shallow draft pan but it is not cheap, or possibly I am more cheaper than it!!

As for the CPW engine management harness, nice option and the price is probably in the right ballpark for what it is, a full custom assembly.

Thing about that is..................................................... I GOT MY HARNESS, I GOT MY HARNESS, I GOT MY HARNESS, I GOT MY HARNESS,!!!!!!! (Insert picture of me dancing here), and the bite on it was less than a C-note. It is so complete that it includes the plug ins for under the fuse block in the engine bay as well as the positive and negative battery sub-harnesses. i even scored those cute rubber grommets that wrap around the pin ports on the ECU. And, the thing here is, since I got to pull most of myself--couldn't do the bottom plugs due to insurance and liability issues for the yard,-- I got to learn how it all fits together for when I mate it to my mill.

I still have to grab the fuse block because, after some thinking, I might need it as well as some fiddly bits from the throttle body but hey, this is not about pretty, unless pretty easy counts.

I don't even have any intentions of a cam upgrade at this point although I might score a set of beehive valve springs simply because the stockers are apparently marginal even with a factory stock stick.

But what i do appreciate most here is the input and feedback posted by the members here. I am very aware that there is a steep learning curve attached to all this and right now I would prefer wherever possbile to keep the cost of that curve as minimal as possible. Which brings me to another question here.

Were the injectors and rails used with the 02-04 LS-6 body the same as those used for the trucks? Put another way, Can I simply remove my rail and injector assemblies from my stock truck intake and plug them into the LS intake as is? Yeah, the crossover would have to be swapped for the LS version due to the change in height.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Injectors are different height between truck and LS6.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You can get injector "hats" to make small injectors taller though. ICT sells them

• Agree

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey, Jake, it is a truck intake that is on this motor at present. Great for torque to move an elephant; or a truck, but not so hot at the too end or in terms of horsepower. And shaving off all the protruding nerds and bosses and fiddly bits really isn't an option because some of them get used to attach other more important parts.

The other possibility, shaving the bottom to make it flat, is also on the no-go list because these, intakes, being made of poly-plastic alloy, are injection molded to exact specs and tolerances. Shaving the bottom on an LS-1 might easily cause you to cut through the floor of the intake in which case you now have an interesting parts can. The existence of the dish or flat bottom is all to due with air flow and velocity. After that you need an engineer to accurately describe the wherefore and the why.

Nick
Not sure what kind of clearance you need for yours, I put a TBSS cathedral port intake I got from a buddy on my 85MCSS. Instead of shaving it (heard things about it splitting under boost), I filled it with structural adhesive (PF 7779, Proform), sanded & painted black. No hood clearance issues.

Attachments

• 20190317_165659.jpg
    20190317_165659.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 20190322_164824.jpg
    20190322_164824.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20210930_103222.jpg
    20210930_103222.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Creative
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I wasn't really considering the looks of the intake when I started digging into options here. My primary concern was overhead height between the intake and the inner skin of the hood if I found the motor mounts lifting the motor to any degree.

What I am dealing with here is a two prong problem, ground clearance and overhead clearance. The LS-6 intake will give me the overhead clearance that I need without going through the exercise of shaving a stock truck intake down. Mind you, I do know where to score a cheao truck intake for an 02 but shaving it removes a couple of essential mounting bosses that accept the brackets needed for the throttle body actuator cable and the cruise control actuator cable. I am not fly by wire here; this situation is pure mechanics.

As for ground clearance, my 5.3 came from an 02 Avalanche truck, and quite probably a 4x4 as it has the deep sump pan. That pan is too deep and suggestions that the motor can be raised would work for a full sized truck engine bay but not for us S-10r's; there is just not enough overhead room in there to do it. There are pan options out there that, as I accumulate a budger for this, I may explore in more depth. Holley in particular makes a shallow draft pan but it is not cheap, or possibly I am more cheaper than it!!

As for the CPW engine management harness, nice option and the price is probably in the right ballpark for what it is, a full custom assembly.

Thing about that is..................................................... I GOT MY HARNESS, I GOT MY HARNESS, I GOT MY HARNESS, I GOT MY HARNESS,!!!!!!! (Insert picture of me dancing here), and the bite on it was less than a C-note. It is so complete that it includes the plug ins for under the fuse block in the engine bay as well as the positive and negative battery sub-harnesses. i even scored those cute rubber grommets that wrap around the pin ports on the ECU. And, the thing here is, since I got to pull most of myself--couldn't do the bottom plugs due to insurance and liability issues for the yard,-- I got to learn how it all fits together for when I mate it to my mill.

I still have to grab the fuse block because, after some thinking, I might need it as well as some fiddly bits from the throttle body but hey, this is not about pretty, unless pretty easy counts.

I don't even have any intentions of a cam upgrade at this point although I might score a set of beehive valve springs simply because the stockers are apparently marginal even with a factory stock stick.

But what i do appreciate most here is the input and feedback posted by the members here. I am very aware that there is a steep learning curve attached to all this and right now I would prefer wherever possbile to keep the cost of that curve as minimal as possible. Which brings me to another question here.

Were the injectors and rails used with the 02-04 LS-6 body the same as those used for the trucks? Put another way, Can I simply remove my rail and injector assemblies from my stock truck intake and plug them into the LS intake as is? Yeah, the crossover would have to be swapped for the LS version due to the change in height.

Nick
F-body oil pans are about the only pan that has both ground clearance and crossmember clearance. But they are almost impossible to find. The Holley pan or knockoff Holley pan is the best option, but as mentioned - they are salty. Another option, that includes living live on the edge minorly, is the SUV pan from 07-10 or whatever came on an '08 Tahoe 5.3 or 6.0. It hangs below the crossmember by 1-1.5", but clears everywhere else. Remember that you need the correct pickup tube and dipstick arrangement for whatever pan you go with.

Regarding the intake, the LS6 intake does look nice, but the budget program is either the truck or Trailblazer/SUV intake, injectors and rails. It's a much easier program to use the rails and injectors that were originally installed with the intake your using. The early truck intakes had a built in FP regulator in the rails that saves some money over the newer returnless rails.

Appearance and performance is what costs money with these setups. How much are you concerned about either? Your concern about those two will dictate the cost.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Cts-v pan also fits good from everything I have seen

Don't bother with the H3 or GM muscle car swap pan, it's worthless as far as improvement

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor