Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Maybe cause I had HID's in my car before changing over to Projector LED's.
I changed over from 4"x6" Hella E code H4's with 35 watt HID electronic ballasts and anti glare shield for my lows and Hella E code H1's with 100 watt bulbs prior to my switch. This set up needed a custom wiring harness featuring double relays and double fused vs projector LED's which are plug n play and draw less current than the antiquated stock factory halogen headlights that came with these cars. The LED's offer a much broader light pattern with a more defined cut off and are not likely to blind oncoming traffic. I have some pictures to post for any non-believers.
Don't want to get into a pissing contest here, but I've had personal "behind the wheel" experience with both of these in 4"x6" format & can tell you there is no comparison between the two. That's a fact

The fact is you didn't have the bi xenon hi/lo HID nor did you have the HID for your hi beam. The Hella lens I have have a cut line and there is no need for an anti glare shield.

The fact is you didn't have the bi xenon hi/lo HID nor did you have the HID for your hi beam. The Hella lens I have have a cut line and there is no need for an anti glare shield.
I’ll note here that some Bi xenon HID bulbs come with the anti-glare shield built into the bulb. I have some.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

• Haha
  • Happy
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The other disavantage of the LED sealed headlights unless you have put out the money to buy spares is when they burn out or the circuit board fries you have to order a repalcement online and who knows when they will arrive of is china is still making them. With my HID's replacements are not expensive so I have spare bulbs and ballasts just in case and if I didin't I can buy they locally any day I want. If the lens gets cracked it's easy to get another one from Hella since that company has been around for a long time and isn't going anywhere soon.

Last edited:

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
To be fair though, the regularity that HID's fail you need an extra laying around. I bought DDM's for my GTO back when they were the go to and have gone through numerous sets, I've got two to send back for warranty and just deal with having to turn the headlights on and off to get the driver side to fire up. My Morimoto's which are a much nicer set even had problems within the first 6 or 8 months, then they were fine until I sold my Edge that they were on.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
To be fair though, the regularity that HID's fail you need an extra laying around. I bought DDM's for my GTO back when they were the go to and have gone through numerous sets, I've got two to send back for warranty and just deal with having to turn the headlights on and off to get the driver side to fire up. My Morimoto's which are a much nicer set even had problems within the first 6 or 8 months, then they were fine until I sold my Edge that they were on.

my HID's have been working without fail for over 3 years, nearly all the issues with HID's are caused by the installer. A friend of mine installs HID's at his business for years and he warranties the parts and labor. Do you think he would do that if people were returning for warranty work that costs him money?

Agreed, I think all the HIDs are made in China.
If you’re GTO is running auto headlights, try building a relay harness to resolve this. I had the same issue on my wife’s #%!? van. I installed a harness, so far so good.

Reactions: 1 user
my HID's have been working without fail for over 3 years, nearly all the issues with HID's are caused by the installer. A friend of mine installs HID's at his business for years and he warranties the parts and labor. Do you think he would do that if people were returning for warranty work that costs him money?
I had HIDs in my wife’s Odyssey and never replaced a bulb in five years, but I’ve had to replace one bulb in my Avalanche in five years. I have a customer that’s gone through four extra bulbs in three years. Same brand of bulbs in all three vehicles.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had HIDs in my wife’s Odyssey and never replaced a bulb in five years, but I’ve had to replace one bulb in my Avalanche in five years. I have a customer that’s gone through four extra bulbs in three years. Same brand of bulbs in all three vehicles.

if you replace 4 bulbs without finding the problem with the system is the problem. As far as the light output the HID is brighter than an LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor